• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are lots of ways the S can HTF. Think of it as Hot SHTF or Cold SHTF. With the HSHTF, you have a complete breakdown of civil order with widespread looting, murder and rape taking place. In a HSHTF situation, your neighborhood would possibly form some sort of security function and being in a shooting situation would almost be guaranteed eventually. With HSHTF, you would want an AR/AK or other combat effective weapon.

In a CSHTF situation, you still have civil order, but everything winds down with little municipal support. Streets are no longer repaired. Barter becomes the main form of local economy. Crime rises in some areas as police become scarce. In this situation, a good .22lr will help feed a family. An AK or AR would be good to keep around in case things go hot, but would not be of much use otherwise.

Considering only SHTF is too broad to be useful. Think of it as either HSHTF or CSHTF and it's a little easier to get your head around.

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    guys I have to disagree with you about hi points I have a c9 and a 995 the rifle is awesome good for short range and figure if I was hunting it would work in a pinch. I carry my c9 in my GHB with different kinds of ammo FMJ hollow point and shot shell. now with the c9 b4 I put the first round through it I polished the feed ramp. I have shot 500+ rounds through it with only 1 FTE. so pretty good results. In a bug out or in situation this and the 995 would be used by my oldest son and I would carry the glock. I guess what I am saying is dont be afraid of the c9, it has its place and is just a tool to do a job
    Im not crackin on the 995 ....i like it a lot ....just dont like any other hi points

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    guys I have to disagree with you about hi points I have a c9 and a 995 the rifle is awesome good for short range and figure if I was hunting it would work in a pinch. I carry my c9 in my GHB with different kinds of ammo FMJ hollow point and shot shell. now with the c9 b4 I put the first round through it I polished the feed ramp. I have shot 500+ rounds through it with only 1 FTE. so pretty good results. In a bug out or in situation this and the 995 would be used by my oldest son and I would carry the glock. I guess what I am saying is dont be afraid of the c9, it has its place and is just a tool to do a job

Hmm, polishing the feed ramps, got a youtube video on that? I bought a c9 and it will fail to feed at least 2x per magazine :(

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUzBWtrUKak
    this video also talks about the feed lips for the magazine pretty easy stuff to do. I did alot of reaserch b4 I bought my hi point. I wanted a gun that if something happend to it I wouldnt be out a ton of money. one thing that helped to polish the feed ramp was to use a pencil with an eraser on the end then wrapped sand paper around it to get into the feed ramp easier

fish

Last edited:

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Sorry, will be using an M14.

I know it's a honker, so i am hitting the gym.

M1 Carbine for the wife.

Gotta agree on this one!
    M1A for me, AR for the BOSS, 03A3 for the 6'7" little one.
    2 45"s and a 40 fo the real close stuff.
    3 22lr pistols for small game.
    I think that covers the SHTF scenario all around.
    Shotgun would be great as well but wondering who would carry that as well.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I wanted a gun that if something happend to it I wouldnt be out a ton of money.

Same reason I bought it! I want to keep it as a 'car' gun but it's pretty much sat in the safe taking up space after trying it out 2x, with original and new mags, all 3 sucked equally.

I do have a .45 hi-point that will cycle like a champ as long as you don't limp wrist it.

For what they are they are good (if you can get it to cycle reliably, I'll report back on my C9 after polishing!) for what they should be used for; cheap backups. But I wouldn't use one as my EDC or main go to!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Oh, and to those who trump the .22 as a defensive round, once again, you are right; I won't volunteer to be shot by one.

I will however volunteer to stand behind my bedroom door (ok, not really but only because I don't want to have to buy a new door) and let you shoot at me. It won't make it through.

Google Cover vs. Concealment. Hiding behind a door is cover for a .22 and concealment for a .223. Hiding behind a brick wall is cover for a .223 (arguably) and concealment for a .308.

Not trying to start a fight or pick on anyone (but I'm sure that's how it comes across) but I would only consider a .22lr as a defensive/offensive round as a last resort.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    lafayette
    Catfish ....i cant really knock it til i try it i guess ......i have shot hipoint handguns before and i wasnt impressed. ..but i have never owned one to really get to know em .....and btw u are right on with the oldest son with the 995....perfect person for one

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    I am not saying that hi points are anything more than a weapon that will go bang and that is the important part. it is heavy but for the price I spent and the little amount of work i did to it I am very satisfied. it is not the perfect tool for everyone though.
    Catfish ....i cant really knock it til i try it i guess ......i have shot hipoint handguns before and i wasnt impressed. ..but i have never owned one to really get to know em .....and btw u are right on with the oldest son with the 995....perfect person for one

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    lafayette
    Good deal buddy....but i think i will go get a hi point handgun and try it out ....cant hurt to spend a few hundred bucks on a handgun ......the best thing about them is the price ....haha....take care buddy

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    I've heard about the matched pair type thing for a while but never owned one. Then I was told about the Rossi W's they have. I think something like that would work exceptionally well. Get the rifle in a good game caliber and the shotgun as well and you're good to go. Has anyone had experience with the Rossi W's?

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Once upon a time I thought having common calibers was good SHTF prep. Given the recent ammo shortages, the odd calibers seem to be the only thing available. I appreciate the HSHTF vs CSHTF discussion. Definitely want a decent combat rifle (30 caliber IMHO) and a rimfire.

One thing I rarely hear people credit the humble .22 with is the power of suppressive fire. Sure its deadly at 15 yards with a head shot, but let's evaluate its use as a crewserved weapon. In a small group, the ability to lay down a lot of rounds to keep an attacker behind cover has some serious merit. Sure, a modern sporting rifle has the ability to do that, but you can't carry 500 rounds in a cargo pocket with one of those. A 22 with a stack of 25 round magazines has the ability to provide a group with suppressive fire in a light and inexpensive package.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've heard about the matched pair type thing for a while but never owned one. Then I was told about the Rossi W's they have. I think something like that would work exceptionally well. Get the rifle in a good game caliber and the shotgun as well and you're good to go. Has anyone had experience with the Rossi W's?

I have not tried the W, but I do have one of their .50cal muzzleloaders and my 6yr old has the .22lr along with a .410 barrel, and it shoots well. It's the youth stock with fiber optic sights. It shoots surprisingly well and is super easy to change barrels.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I can see the value of reloading certain rounds but I looked into it and as of right now my house has a 22 and a 9mm. It is not cost effective right now for me to buy all the equipment just to reload the 9mm. At what point do you see the true value come into it? I am very interested in learning the trade not only for self reliant reasons but also to pass the trade to my kids as well.
    Just some of my thoughts. We are more than likely going to purchase a few 10/22's first because even my small kids could learn on one and then buy larger calibers later.

Find an old lee loader hammer kit and get a tumble lube bullet mold. YMMV depending on specific weapon but it holds its own in a 1911 and doesnt foul the barrel or detract from my accuracy. If you'd like to learn more hollar at the folks at profire or shoot me a pm

rlett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I wouldn't be with out my Marlin 39a. It is heck on squirrels....and you have to eat.

Roadracer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .22lr as a defensive caliber

Awhile back I saw a YouTube video of them testing a Ruger 10/22 and seeing how far back they could get and penetrate a 1/4 inch pine board. The penetration range was close to 400 yards. Has anyone else seen this video?

I suspect that in the urban/suburban environment that most of us live in, 50 to 150 yards is more realistic.

Truth be told, if I see danger coming that far away, I'm moving low to the ground in the opposite direction as fast as I can. I am not Rambo, and for this Vietnam AirEvac medic, strategic withdrawal is not a bad thing.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I consolidated calibers recently during the 2013 ammo crisis. All of which were strategically planned, based on what I could find.

.17HMR, .40S&W, .308, and 20ga shotgun.

All my handguns are .40. They are more powerful than .9mm and it was usually available on the shelves as most people prefer the slightly cheaper 9mm.

I have two very nice bull barrel .17HMRs that could shoot flies off a dog's ear at 100 yards.

And I am in he process of finishing a monster of a match grade M1A in a J-Allen platform. It will have no problems reaching out over 700 yards, even with my limited skills.

And I decided to go with the 20ga, as it is often over looked. It's always available, cheap, and powerful. It has half the felt recoil of a 12ga and only 1/4 less power. The hardest part is finding good defensive loads. All-in-all, it seemed to be the best option for HD and hunting.

The only thing I still want to add to this mix is 30-06. It's expensive, but very powerful and always available.

Top Bottom