• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    i have been thinking about swapping out the g33 for one of the p224s. anyone here have one and, what do you think of it?

i shoot the 33 fairly well and really like the ease of how fast to draw and re holster it has become for me( still no gunfighter speed, but not to slow either ).

my brother has a couple MK 25s and i am starting dig the sig stuff, they shoot real nice, and from the sig site says the newer 229 mags will fit the 224s. bonus.
    i like the all steel thing too, so again, who here has a p224 and how do you like it? there is usually a downside to stuff most of the time, so what is the " downside" of your p224, ( besides the price ) if any?

thanks in advance for any input.

side note, to many commas?

and, i am trying to bring back "right on" so... right on!

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If you want it in 9mm you'll be golden. it should take 20rd p226 mags as well for range time. With that said the 224 and most of sig's line in 40 or 357 use their wide slide which i feel makes the weapon unbalanced. Also the frames on most sigs is aluminum not steel. The stainless models are beautiful but heavy.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I picked up a SIG P224 in 40 S&W last Friday but I have not shot it. In several days I should have the extended 12 round magazines. The P224 has a two and a half finger grip (thin fingers) with the standard magazine and the grip is about the size of a P229 with the extended magazine. If the SIG is difficult to shoot with the standard magazines I will use the extended magazines. It appears to be a very good pistol. Top Gun has the 40 S&W SAS DA/SA for $749.

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    I picked up a SIG P224 in 40 S&W last Friday but I have not shot it. In several days I should have the extended 12 round magazines. The P224 has a two and a half finger grip (thin fingers) with the standard magazine and the grip is about the size of a P229 with the extended magazine. If the SIG is difficult to shoot with the standard magazines I will use the extended magazines. It appears to be a very good pistol. Top Gun has the 40 S&W SAS DA/SA for $749.

after you shoot it, please reply and let me/us know what you think. thanks in advance.

Right on !

Last edited:

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If you want a smaller pistol check out a 229 as well. pretty similar in size to the glock 19. But they are fantastic shooters. Basically a little brother to the p226 as far as design goes. Plus you will have 15+1 in 9mm and a very easy to conceal gun.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    If you want it in 9mm you'll be golden. it should take 20rd p226 mags as well for range time. With that said the 224 and most of sig's line in 40 or 357 use their wide slide which i feel makes the weapon unbalanced.

Whether or not it is 9mm or 40/357, the 229,226,224,etc. use the same slide. They are exactly the same weight and width.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    I think it gives you something over other lighter models like the Glock 26 if you get the DA/SA version as apposed to the DAK...unless you like that trigger system for some unknown reason...to me it negates much of the advantage of a heavier pistol for follow up shots. YMMV.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Here is 9mm on the left and 40 on the right
    246vrl1.jpg

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    229 was designed as a "compact" (at least compared to the 226) for concealed carry. It was also designed around the .40 Smith cartridge to take advantage of its hotter ballistics. Hence the wider slide and chunky frame. I like mine a LOT. It does conceal well, shoots great, has more than sufficient capacity, and the difference in slide width is negligible in real life.

But it'll never conceal like a 224. Congratulations. Enjoy the weight advantage.

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Oh. Miscommunication I guess. I thought those were 224s. I got my 229 and am very happy with it. Been looking for a 9mm 224 though as the weather is heating up. Looks very similar in size to the G26 which disappears on me.

Top Bottom