• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Has anyone here used one of these on a dedicated suppressed AR?

I have a pin/weld suppressor in jail and am going to be piecing together a LMT Shovelnose upper for it. I needed a 12"+ mid length gas barrel so the can will clear the handguard and mid gas so the front sight block has room - so I was going to get a 13.9 Centurion CHF barrel and have D Wilson cut it down before he does the conversion for it to fit the MRP extension.

But then I ran across these and saw they had a 12.5 mid gas barrel that's sold as a suppressor only barrel with a heavily reduced gas port size. Kinda makes sense for my intended purpose.

Anyone here used any of these barrels? It sounds perfect - but I don't want something that's so undersized it's just on the bleeding edge of functioning or will only function with stuff like mk262 or other hot stuff only.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Would be a gun you would absolutely depend on in SHTF situation? If so, then you'd be running hot ammo like M193 or M855 and it'll be fine. If this is a range gun and you want to shoot cheaper Blazer brass .223 then just get a decent barrel and buy something like a SLR Rifleworks click adjustable gas block. I have several and I really like them. A little spicy on the wallet but they're nice

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Would be a gun you would absolutely depend on in SHTF situation? If so, then you'd be running hot ammo like M193 or M855 and it'll be fine. If this is a range gun and you want to shoot cheaper Blazer brass .223 then just get a decent barrel and buy something like a SLR Rifleworks click adjustable gas block. I have several and I really like them. A little spicy on the wallet but they're nice
    I want a SBR without all the red tape if I want to take a class out of state or travel somewhere, and don't want to have to ask the ATF for permission.

This isn't going to be a range toy I want to just be on the bleeding edge of reliability, if that was the case I'd go the sionics route without a question. There's a guy on youtube with one running a low mass carrier and the gun just doesn't move at all with his setup but it only runs hot hot stuff. I'd like a little extra gas to be able to run anything brass.

It's going to have a front sight gas block though so no adjustable block unless I go the JP A2 adjustable route, but I have several of the SLR Sentry blocks and they are great, for sure.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    There's also reduced gas port sized gas tubes that would give you a similar benefit but still allow you wiggle room in the event things weren't running favorably.

I get the jist that you want to avoid adjustability, which is why I recommend going that route. You can still kind of adjust it by swapping gas tubes that way.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    There's also reduced gas port sized gas tubes that would give you a similar benefit but still allow you wiggle room in the event things weren't running favorably.

I get the jist that you want to avoid adjustability, which is why I recommend going that route. You can still kind of adjust it by swapping gas tubes that way.
    Yeah, that was the original plan. I was going to have a Centurion 13.9 cut down and just use a BRT EZtune tube but if I can find some more good info on these barrels it'll save me quite a bit of money by already being the right length and size.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Get the small port barrel, try it in the cold with slow ammo, and if it won't work, then ream the port a few thousandths larger, and repeat.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I'd give them a call. Everything I've heard about this is great and I'm mostly a BCM fan.
    I did that today. The person on the phone told me if I wanted 223 brass to cycle to just go with the normal port barrel, even if 100% suppressed.

I'll probably just go with the reduced port barrel and see what happens. I don't plan on shooting cheap 223 but just would like it to if need be - but if it doesn't then I have other things that will shoot it. I don't think I have a single round of brass 223 anywhere as is, but I just like to plan for the worst.

Top Bottom