• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Hi everyone. I have a Chinese SKS carbine with a finicky trigger reset. I've only shot it twice - once last weekend and once on July 4th :patriot: - but it has acted up both times.

After firing, about 50% of the time the trigger is not reset. I made sure to let my finger completely off, but it would still not reset. The strange thing is that it would usually reset after the second (uneventful) trigger pull. Also, I have never had a failure when I manually rack the bolt; this only happens when firing live rounds.

I've done some googling on the problem and found people with similar problems, but not all of their symptoms seem to match up with mine. I just thought I'd post here to see if anyone knows what's wrong and how to fix it.

I'm currently reading THIS to get an idea of how the trigger works, but a lot of it is over my head mechanically (CmpE+EE student here). I'm half thinking of sending the trigger group HERE to get it improved/fixed, but I really would like to know how it works and how to fix it myself.

If anyone could post some links to better explanations/fixes I'd greatly appreciate it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    the trigger should reset even while holding the trigger down...it is part of a standard function check of semi auto weapons...I would look at it if you were nearby

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    the trigger should reset even while holding the trigger down...it is part of a standard function check of semi auto weapons...I would look at it if you were nearby

That's what I figured. I think I've got a little better understanding of the trigger after watching a video series on YouTube. The videos showed how to modify the sear, hammer, and disconnector to get positive engagement and to reduce creep, so you can really see how it works.

I also read somewhere that a modification caused similar problems to mine.

I might look at it tonight and see if there is anything different from the video. I'm hoping I didn't inherit someone else's DIY trigger job.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    check your gas port while your at it if its built up with carbon you may not be getting all the gas needed to cycle your weapon properly this was my problem it wasnt the trigger at all.... not saying it is that they have trigger issues especaily the chinese models but its a know place of failure and a easy fix.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I think I've got an idea of what's going on. I finally had time last night to get the trigger group out and mess with it. I'm almost positive it's something with the disconnector. I don't know if it's normal, but if I press the disconnector down all the way the trigger bar doesn't engage anything. It feels just like what happens when I'm shooting. I think that the disconnector is somehow being pressed down too far after shooting.

The disconnector doesn't seem bent or damaged in any way. I'll post pics when I get back from the lake (still don't have 3g).

On a positive note, I discovered I seem to have neutral engagement.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I now know exactly what's going on, but not why. For some reason when I push the hammer back (engaging the rebound disconnector) the sear slips forward a bit and traps the trigger bar underneath it. Then the trigger bar only slides along underneath the sear, and it bumps into that little lip at the very end of the trigger pull. If I pull hard at that lip, the sear is pushed back and the trigger bar resets to where it is supposed to be.

I honestly don't know what part is responsible for limiting the sear's travel, but whatever it is is broken or worn out. I'm considering searching for surplus parts or buying an american made sear to help with compliance when I put a new stock on it, but I really don't feel like spending money on a guess...

Top Bottom