• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've been loading 25.5 gr varget behind a 69 gr Sierra hpbt with Winchester primers. I'm currently out of Winchester primers but have 5k of federals on hand. Is this going to change the characteristics of this load any? Shooting this week isn't an option and while aquiring more win primers isn't a big deal I'd like to use what I have on hand if possible. Thanks for the help!!

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I am by no means an expert on the topic but I don't believe it would have any noticeable effect. The primer's job is simply to ignite the powder charge. As long as you're not changing the charge or other characteristics of the load I'd expect it to perform the same.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    It will probably change a little, but most likely not a noticeable amount. I have noticed differences between lot numbers of the same brand of primer. The only way to be sure is to load a few, and get out the old chrony.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Federal primers generally have the reputation of being softer. Target guns with really light triggers are recommended to use Federals to insure ignition. Your load of 25.5 Varget under a 69 Sierra is a fairly warm load. Check your spent cases with Winchester primers. Are the primers pretty flat? A softer primer may not hold the pressure. I always use CCI or Winchesters. I have never used Federals in a rifle, but since you cannot try the loads, I would not want you to show up at a match and have your stuff not work.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    In general, you should back off a grain or so when changing from one primer to another. Some guys will tell you that it makes no difference whatsoever, and much of the time, they're correct. However, if you load long enough, you will undoubtedly come across a situation where accuracy is great with one primer, but you need a different powder charge to get the same groups with another primer. Also, some primers will absolutely create slightly different pressures. If that is a max load of Varget, drop back a little and work back up toward the same load.

You tell US whether or not those primers can be used interchangeably. :)

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Federal primers generally have the reputation of being softer.

Along with what Leo said, if you use the round in an AR, you could get a slam fire with fed primers and a free float firing pin....

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    While those were the answers I thought I'd get I was really hoping for "heck no load em and shoot em they are identical!".

I'll load a few and see how they shoot i guess. I just wanted to keep pulling the handle as I had time to load over the next week or so and i really need to have a couple more thousand on hand before season than I do.

And to answer a couple questions.

That is about 1-1.5 gr less than a max load of varget.

The primers aren't NOTICEABLY flat but I haven't compared them to anything else out of that rifle either but I'll look at that when I get a minute.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    IndianaSlim. Some barrels are a little tighter than others. I was shooting a load that worked great in three different Kreiger barrels, and I supplied several boxes to a man with another brand of barrel. The load showed way hot in his barrel. I tried the same load in a Colt HBar that I didn't shoot much. The load worked great there. My last AR purchase was a bone stock Bushmaster DCM. My favorite load turned out to be too hot in that rifle. I checked my new rifles chamber with a go/no go set and double checked the leade with a stoney point tool. All is good, it is just that the barrel is a little tight and not tolerant of my favorite load with a heavy bullet. Since you know that your load works great in your barrel, it is fine, at least with the Winchester primers.

Top Bottom