• ...and so much more!
  • Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Regardless of brand of 1911 you pick, magazines will
    Be the largest source of failure. Whatever comes with the gun you buy, pitch might not be true with sig, time will tell. Get chip McCormick power mags, Tripp research mags, or Wilson combat mags.

I agree that there are several 1911 mags out there that are junk. Before you throw a mag away because of the brandname first try to figure out what makes a "good" mag.

Do your research and see what a "good" mag should look like.

First the shelf should be parrallel to the top of the follower. If this isnt the case fix it instead of throwing it in the trash.

Second check the feed lips to see if they are bent or out of spec in anyway. You can bend them back with pliers or file them alittle.

Third check your spring. If it is weak or kinked you could replace a spring pretty cheap.

Fourth check the specs on the shelf and follower to make sure they are bent and spaced correctly.

By knowing how to check your mags and fix them with a set of pliers and a slotted screwdriver makes you a better prepared 1911 owner.

All this being said I should mention most of my mags are CMKs and I have tinkered with 100% of them.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've owned Pre Series II Kimbers and Series II Kimbers and ALL have been great guns.

Between Kimber 1911 and Sig 1911 I would lean for the Kimber (But I am biased since I have owned several of them and they have been fantastic guns).

Kimber, Springfield, Colt, etc all make great guns, find the one YOU like the best, buy, it and have fun shooting it :ar15:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    sorry to hear about your bad experiences. everyone makes a lemon once in a while. But the fact remains that SA has far superior customer service to almost any other 1911 maker (and Kimber has about zero).

Sigs customer service is the thing that really sold me on them. Of all the guns i own they are the only ones that called me and told me that my warranty has been registered and everything was ready to go.

In addition, the general consensus among gun owners (i know, its the internet), is that Kimber's and Sig's QC has taken a nosedive in recent years, particular Kimber. For what Kimber charges they should be putting out a far better product.

I would disagree with that atleast on Sigs part. Ive never owned a Kimber so I have no idea about thier QC, But i will tell you Sig is still top notch. Honestly MIM makes no difference to me, and for all who it does I will tell you not to buy the Ruger 1911 as it uses a MIM frame.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    love my kimber. and never had a issue. but sigs r nice too. i just cant compare the two. cuz i had the sig p226. im sure both would be good

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    @Jeremiah, Im not new to 1911s ive owned 3 in the past and just lost my taste for them as they became what i call a Barbie doll gun. The recoil doesnt bother me so the weight savings on the "alloy" frame are what im after. Im not planning on having any work done on this pistol I want a good out of the box gun that i can just carry. As for the mag issue im well aware that mags are the weakest point of all guns, and i still have some Wilsons and Chip Mc mags laying around but they are for a full sized not an officer framed gun. Thanks for the input though.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    sorry to hear about your bad experiences. everyone makes a lemon once in a while.

Yeah I understand that and I even go as far as to say my beloved Kawasaki will on occasion screw the pooch real bad.

I would seriously give SA another look; buy a TRP and be happy. If you have any issues, they generally pay for the shipping. And I know for a fact SA has a quick turn around time. Ymmv.

I HATE the cheese grater grips on the TRPs

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    @ Hoosier, I work in Indy if that helps, I would love to to take you up on your offer but im not gonna have the time off until next year. So if your ever in the city bouncing around bike shops ill be in the back probably covered in somthing that either looks or smells terrible. Im really a clean freak so being a mechanic kinda clashes with my OCD somtimes,

Sorry for the erratic posting today but im doing this between jobs so forgive me.

@jeremiah again, i never said i was rushing this decision this purchase is planned for next summer as that is busy season for me and i make the most money then.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I own series 1 and series 2 Kimbers. I own two with a Clackamas roll mark. I have 1000's of rounds through them and have had no issues. I can't tell any difference in quality between the series 1 and series 2 guns. I have been happy with both. I have read about all the quality control problems, but have not experienced any of them myself. If I had some of the experiences I have read about, I'm sure I would feel differently about them. But I have had good experiences, so I like them.

I own Para, Kimber, Colt, Springfield 1911's. I shoot the Kimbers the most because that is my preference.

If you like Sigs, and that is what your instinct tells you to get, then trust your instincts. I'm not trying to talk anybody into buying anything. I'm not trying to talk anybody out of buying anything. If you ever want to shoot any of mine to see how they feel, just pm me and we can set something up.

Top Bottom