• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I went to ITP today to shoot as our range is full of recruits and rain. I wanted to try my new 9mm europellet and compare to the .40 version, plus just for fun I took my 3" .357 magnum that I used to carry on duty. I've always been kinda proud of that revolver and how well it shoots.

So, shoot the new 9mm. Do just fine. Very happy with how it shoots.
    Shoot the .40. Do just fine. Realize why some people say its "snappy" after shooting it back to back with the .380 long.

Shoot the .357. First shot is in the 1x1 box to the left of the bull's eye. Ok, no biggie. Next shot, same thing. Next shot, about 2" over. This is the gun I kept 6 in a box the size of a credit card at 35y with. It's my pride and joy gun. I'm thinking, ok, too much time shooting the P229s, just need to adjust back to "revolver mode" and start tinkering with finger postioning on trigger, grip location and strength, etc. I end up being really awkward with my grip and just making it worse. Ok, fine, let's shoot single action. Still trash. After 24 rounds I say I guess I'm just tired or forgot how to shoot a wheel gun and pack up. As I'm checking out I mention my frustration to the folks behind the counter and one sharp eyed employee notices that the rear sight is drifted about 1/8" over from center. THANK YOU! I felt sooo much better that I actually was hitting where the sights said I should be and I haven't forgotten how to shoot a revolver nor has my favorite buddy forsaken me. Thanks to ITP for loaning me some tools to recenter the sight, but thanks even more for noticing the equipment issue before my head exploded into a tornado of self-loathing and confusion.

So, lesson learned. While 99% of the time, its you that's causing the suck to happen, 1% of the time it can be an equipment issue. Go ahead and check if things feel awry.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I hear ya. When I worked armed security for Blue Line many moons ago I would qualify with a perfect score on my big bulky P91. Fast forward 15 years and I switched to a G23/G27 combo when I decided that my previous habit of "only carrying in 'dangerous places' like downtown at night" was not often enough and dragging around all that steel was annoying. With that gun I was lucky to keep it in the 9 ring with a few flyers in the 8. But If I stuck my Lone wolf conversion barrel in it I was back in the 10 ring pretty consistently.

I traded another user here for a G19 and Im no longer marginally combat accurate.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A 2-1/2 inch group at 35 yards is not bad, especially with a handgun that is not in your recent training I have always shot a revolver better than a semi auto on a still target. For timed targets I do better with a well tuned 1911.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Just like riding a bicycle. You never really forget, but its a good idea to oil the chain and check the air in the tires if its been siting for a while. This is a good argument for the fixed sights that are common on a J frame for carry duty.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is a good argument for the fixed sights that are common on a J frame for carry duty.

Or the old style Security Six adjustables. I thought the same thing. I've never had Novaks drift like that, it never even occurred to me to look to see if the sights were still centered. I just figured it was me being terrible.

Everything has a trade off, though. The Novaks are certainly more precise for me than the old groove on the top strap sights ever were.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Hmm... I would get rid of that thing post haste. Any gun that has figured out how to move it's own sights is close to learning how to shoot people with no human involvement. Fortunately I've been able to rehabilitate a few guns like this. I'd be glad to take on this daughnting taste for little if next to nothing. IM me for details.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Always a good idea to give things a quick 'once over' and make sure everything works and is functioning before starting.

That's true whether it's a handgun, a vehicle, or any other equipment.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hmm... I would get rid of that thing post haste. Any gun that has figured out how to move it's own sights is close to learning how to shoot people with no human involvement. Fortunately I've been able to rehabilitate a few guns like this. I'd be glad to take on this daughnting taste for little if next to nothing. IM me for details.

I keep it securely contained in a locked container where it can't hurt anyone. That's why its called a gun safe. It makes your guns safe to have in the house so they don't kill you in your sleep. Or something.

I appreciate the generous offer, though!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Any time you like, you can make your .357 extra super duper safe by storing it in its locked container in my own locked container.
    Yeah, that'll work...he'll go for that...that's the ticket.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom