• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I was driving up to Chicago and surfing through the XM channels and decided to catch up on some of the college football news. It was all the same, Alabama, Alabama, Alabama, so I turned some more. I got to Mad Dog and I don't listen to him much, but he was talking about the garbage QBs in the NFL, Young and Tebow, in particular.

He went on to say that Tebow should give up on his NFL career and run for Congress. He was really putting together some good points about how he could be electable and how much the Florida voters would support him. His comments weren't really about how well he could do the job, but simply electability. Well, he went on to say, "He couldn't do any worse than Obama, Clinton and even Bush for those who want me to throw him in" and he made some great points to uphold that statement. Then he screwed the whole thing up.

He was talking and getting loud and then said, "I don't even consider myself a Republican anymore. Maybe I'm an Independent." After that, he said, "I've never even voted because I never thought anyone was deserving of my vote!" WHAT?! So, he can complain and even encourage someone to run for whom he can't vote, but he's NEVER voted before? How can someone believe they have a voice if they never exercise their right to vote? I wonder what candidate could possibly earn his vote?

This is not related to my thread, but provides an image of Mad Dog.
    Chris (Mad Dog) Russo signs new three-year deal with SiriusXM  - NY Daily News

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    A full grown man who is so interested in games should not be taken seriously by anyone.

So your position is that no grown man should ever be "taken seriously"?

I don't see a reason to deny my instincts. Athletics, chess, cards, games of chance, shooting competitions, mating with the most attractive female, re-election...none should exclude you from a conversation.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    My position is that sporting events are a great distraction to the general public. I have heard people say often,that the two things that they will not discuss are religion and politics...Causes conflict. It seems much easier for them to discuss football teams..Fools babble while we lose our freedoms. You can go back under your bridge now..

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As anyone with a mic and a radio spot tends to get loud about any given subject, yeah, OK. Good thing he is not ashamed of himself. Never let that stop someone from spouting their opinion.

I remember how into sports I used to be. All my hero's are long retired or gone. If Barry Sanders would have ran for office, I would've voted for him. That's how young and less-than-thoughtful I was during those years. If any one of the '84 Tigers were to run for any office, I would have campaigned for them. LOL

I've grown up (slightly) and left childish things behind. Professional sports has gotten even more superficial and influential. Massive PR machine and personalities with egos to match.

Anything celebrity related; Movies, Sports, Music, all of it has grown into a monster. I try not to speak of mysticism for the tin-foil smiths start forming my new headgear, but there is something there that I can't describe. It's huge and overbearing and evil to the core.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Alan Page - MN Supreme CT Justice

It seems that many pro athletes are quite articulate, intelligent and humble, particularly NFL players who have attended college and earned a degree.
    NFL quarterbacks may be among the more intelligent players considering the job that they perform on the playing field. Except for maybe Brett Favre who became better known for not being able to control himself. But compared to Clinton maybe Favre does have some presidential material in him after all. :):
    Seriously though, Alan Page is an NFL Hall of Famer who played for the Vikings and was repeatedly elected as a Minnesota Supreme Court Justice. Being one of the famous Purple People Eaters certainly didn't hurt his chances to win election.
    Would Reagan ever have been elected if he weren't an actor, or Clint Eastwood as a Mayor?
    None of this has any direct connection to Tebow becoming a politician, but having some name recognition doesn't hurt one's chances of getting elected should he ever choose to run for an office.

Alan Page

Alan Cedric Page (born August 7, 1945) is an associate justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court and a member of both the College Football Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame....

...Long before Page’s football career came to a close, he was laying the groundwork for his future role as a justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court. While still playing for the Vikings, Page attended the University of Minnesota Law School, from which he received a Juris Doctor in 1978. Following graduation, he worked with the law firm Lindquist and Vennum in Minneapolis from 1979 to 1984 outside the football season. In 1985, Page was appointed Special Assistant Attorney General, and was soon thereafter promoted to Assistant Attorney General.

In 1992, Page was elected to an open seat as an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court, becoming the first African-American to ever serve on that court. He was reelected in 1998 (becoming the biggest vote-getter in Minnesota history), again in 2004, and for a final time in 2010: Minnesota has mandatory retirement for judges at age 70.

On January 7, 2009, Page was appointed by Chief Justice Eric Magnuson to select the three-judge panel that heard the election contest brought by Norm Coleman in the 2008 U.S. Senate election.[5]

Alan Page - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
    Top Bottom