• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Ok Guys and Gals, I've been searching for a while on the forum and can't really find an answer.
    The Indiana State Fair grounds is public property. I can't find anywhere if it says "Yay" or "Nay" for being "OK" to carry while at the State Fair.
    Does anyone have a definitive answer or a link to Indiana Code.
    I just want to make sure... I rather not go after paying a 25 bucks for tickets and then being kicked out or "hassled" because I'm exercising my rights.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You can carry at the grounds, but NOT when the Fair is going on.

This.

State Fair (event) = No

State Fairgrounds (place) = Yes

This is why you can bring your guns with you to the Indy 1500, which is held on the fairgrounds.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Ok Guys and Gals, I've been searching for a while on the forum and can't really find an answer.
    The Indiana State Fair grounds is public property. I can't find anywhere if it says "Yay" or "Nay" for being "OK" to carry while at the State Fair.
    Does anyone have a definitive answer or a link to Indiana Code.
    I just want to make sure... I rather not go after paying a 25 bucks for tickets and then being kicked out or "hassled" because I'm exercising my rights.

I think you missed the State Fair by a few months:D

Carry on the Fairgrounds is fine except during the State Fair, I'm sure someone will be along with the IC soon.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The goofy thing about this...

It's not a law that was passed by the Legislature. It's a rule, with the force of law, that was implemented by the State Fair Commission.

IIRC, the penalties aren't very stiff...if any. We're not even talking Class D misdemeanor level.

But, still, it's against "the rules". *Sigh*

I'd be interested in the personal opinions of the IMPD folks aboard how they'd handle it.

-J-

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Thank you everyone, thats the information I was looking for. So basically it's only a "no no" when it's the state fair going on, any other event it is perfectly fine.

Thanks Everyone :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    you are allowed to take it with you when you go but you must leave it locked in your car.

Not if you park on Fairgrounds property during the State Fair. There isn't a provision for this in the code's prohibition.

(of course, no one would know what's in your trunk...)

The Indiana School for the Deaf is also immediately adjacent to the State Fairgrounds to the North. All of this property is verboten 100% of the time as well. And their property is HUGE.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Not if you park on Fairgrounds property during the State Fair. There isn't a provision for this in the code's prohibition.

(of course, no one would know what's in your trunk...)

The Indiana School for the Deaf is also immediately adjacent to the State Fairgrounds to the North. All of this property is verboten 100% of the time as well. And their property is HUGE.

I had no idea about the school for deaf thing!

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    80 IAC 4-4-4 Deadly weapons prohibited
    Authority: IC 15-13-2-9
    Affected: IC 15-13-2; IC 15-13-7
    Sec. 4. (a) This rule does not apply to a federal, state, or local law enforcement officer or to a person who has been employed
    or authorized by the state fair commission to provide security protection and services during the annual state fair.
    (b) No person in possession of a deadly weapon shall be permitted onto or be permitted to remain on the fairgrounds during
    the annual state fair.
    (c) Any deadly weapon found in the possession of a person while on the fairgrounds during the annual state fair is subject to
    immediate confiscation by law enforcement officers or other persons authorized by the executive director of the state fair commission.
    (d) Any person properly licensed to carry a firearm must secure the firearm in a locked compartment of his or her vehicle, and it shall not be visible to passersby. (State Fair Commission; 80 IAC 4-4-4; filed Jul 7, 2003, 3:15 p.m.: 26 IR 3538; readopted filed
    Oct 4, 2007, 10:29 a.m.: 20071024-IR-080070451RFA)

Top Bottom