States bordering Indiana Legal for rifle transfer FTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Evansville
    I had a gentleman contact me on a Gunbroker listing asking to meet FTF. He is from Illinois and wanted to drive to me to pick up the rifle. He claimed bordering states can transfer a weapon legally without a dealer and ftf (rifles only). I do not believe this is true. Can anyone give me some input on this issue?
    Thanks!
    Lee

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    negative.
    no FTF with a resident of another state. Must go through an FFL and I am sure one of our quicker people will be by with code here in a minute

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Evansville
    Affirmitive...thought so. Appreciate the help guys! Makes you wonder doesn't it? I was just wondering on the bordering issue....never heard that presented before.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Possible sting attempt?

First, welcome to INGO!

Second, most likely it is. Trying to bait someone into something illegal.

Third, there is the possibility that it's just a misguided individual. He does after all live in Illinois.

Fourth, good on you OP for not taking the bait!

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Once upon a time....but now repealed by P.L.60-2011, SEC.2.

IC 35-47-5-6
    Purchasing or obtaining a rifle or shotgun
    Sec. 6. (a) Any resident of Indiana:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by law from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois.
    (b) Any resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by the laws of Indiana, his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition for a rifle or a shotgun in Indiana.
    (c) Any transaction under this section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 0.922(B)(3)).
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Possible sting attempt?

No, just confusion of the law.

After the 1980s reforms individuals could purchase FROM licensees in neighboring states. As happens in the law people take one part of it and grab the bit and off to the races they go.

But, Kirk, how do I know to use an FFL? Well, to be safe, if your fact pattern contains two or more states use an FFL.

"Mr. Freeman, my third cousin's dog has a raffle gon he wants to selll me. And my third cousin's dog lives in Pumphandle, Montana and . . . "

"Use an FFL."

"But my third cousin's dog ain't got no felonies . . ."

"Doesn't matter, use an FFL."

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I had a gentleman contact me on a Gunbroker listing asking to meet FTF. He is from Illinois and wanted to drive to me to pick up the rifle. He claimed bordering states can transfer a weapon legally without a dealer and ftf (rifles only). I do not believe this is true. Can anyone give me some input on this issue?
    Thanks!
    Lee

There is a guy on this site that has tried the same ****. My guess is un-educated, mis-trained agent.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Evansville
    I phoned him, left the voice mail stating that the transfer had to go between our FFLs. Thank you Gents!

Peoria , IL Area code (309) His first name was Ed...that's as far as I had gotten with him. Sounded more to me as a collecter.
    "oldfartXXXXXXXXX" was his email handle. I added XXXX instead of other characters to protect his email address. In case he tries to get anyone else to do the same. As a group, we have to protect ourselves from ourselves, sometimes....lol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom