• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    #1 Stock: My other wooden stocked guns are shiny because they are waxed and polished, but one I bought used is really shiny, even though I have never waxed it, it has a clear coating on it that makes it really shiny. It doesn't feel like the wood either. What is it?

#2 Barrel scratches. This same gun was thrown around a lot I think. Which is probably why that protective layer is on the wood. The barrel's paint has some scratches in it. Can I wet sand and use 0000 steel wool to clean up the barrel safely? And what do you use to re-paint? High temp glossy black engine enamel paint?

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Very interesting, I Googled urethane gun stock finish and saw this picture

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...dsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:53,s:0,i:252&tx=149&ty=29

Looks exactly like was I was talking about. It is an H&R Topper model 58 12 gauge cut to 18.5. It was also drilled and tapped for a bead but I cant seem to buy an aftermarket one that fits. I don't know if it was tapped to stock size or not, but if it was I would assume they would have used the same bead, and since they didn't I am assuming it isn't the factory bead size. Gotta research how hard this finish is to replicate, I would like it on the other guns. I don't have any pictures, will get some up though, as soon as I get a hold of a camera. My iPhone only takes pics when it wants to, and my explorist 510 decides to shut off every time I take a picture, probably related to the corrosion in the battery terminal area.

Metal refinishing is something I have never done before, bet there's a guide on here for that somewhere though, time to start searching.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    You guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the metal finish is somewhat difficult to get a nice finish on. You could do the wood.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Sounds like you have an excellent candidate there for some home gun finishing experiments. Home coldblueing products can be used with variois techniques to obtain a pretty decent look but usually not the best durability. A spray on- bake on product would likely give the best durabilty and corrosion resistance. Check Brownells for a multitude of options. Below is a link to their metal finishing goodies.
    As for the wood you can usually find your needs at the local LGS, hardware store or Walmart.

Metal Prep & Coloring | Gunsmith Tools & Supplies at Brownells

Top Bottom