• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I acquired my first 357 revolver recently (S&W 686). I was planning on taking with me on hiking outings in central and southern Indiana State parks.

I'm just wondering what weight of 357 bullet you all might recommend. Or if it really would make any difference.

I don't plan on hunting. I'll just have it along in case.

Thanks.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Smith 686..

I acquired my first 357 revolver recently (S&W 686). I was planning on taking with me on hiking outings in central and southern Indiana State parks.

I'm just wondering what weight of 357 bullet you all might recommend. Or if it really would make any difference.

I don't plan on hunting. I'll just have it along in case.

Thanks.

You chose one of the BEST all around .357 Mags. out there--Congrats.

Most .38/.357 revolvers are Factory calibrated to shoot the 158 grain bullets to the point of aim.

A good quality Factory .357 Magnum defense load (Usually deep hollow point), will serve you well.

BTW: LTCH is legal in our State Parks, we do know that. We ALSO know that a firearm should NOT be discharged unless this is your FINAL option, in protection of you and your's.

This has been a recent privilege that has been granted us--Let's not abuse it...Bill.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    And by wildlife you mean ???

Since you said you would not be hunting, I'll assume you meant personal protection and not raccoons and possums.

Try a few kinds jacketed hollow points and see what you like and it accurate in your gun. The .357 Mag for personal protection is not terribly picky about ammo, so it just comes down to that. Personally I would go with something in the 125-140gr range. Speer Gold Dots or Hornady XTP. You could even load it with .38 SPL +P.

Congratulations on your purchase!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a speed loaders in my 357 and I use federal hydro-shok's in the day time. Whatever you get shoot it in the dark and see what happens for you. Mine is a 2 inch barreled version.

At night I step down to 38 special as the muzzle flash and cylinder gap flash will blind you at night with full house loads. Shot a skunk with it at my mother in laws and had flash blindness for a good 30 seconds after the shot.

Speed loaders also are fairly cheap and you need a few anyway.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I will third the 38 Spl+P. Nothing wrong with the 357, but the 38s will still pack plenty of punch for SD situations out of a full barrel. A friend of mine picked up his first handgun, a Taurus of similar size to your 686, and while he does OK with the 38 Spl+p, after much complaining that he wanted to "see what it will do", I loaded a few 357 rounds for him to try out. After the first one, he decided that maybe he should stick with the +p's for SD, as the 357 left him a little bit stunned from muzzle blast.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Thanks all for the comments.

I don't plan on discharging the firearm unless for real protection... no shooting the critters. I've hiked Morgan Monroe a couple times, but it has been several years now. I don't imagine I'd really ever run into anything larger than a wild dog, coyote, or wolf (?), but even that is a low chance I know, as they'd move away before I'm likely even aware of them. Even then, the 686 wouldn't leave my holster unless I felt truly threatened. Last thing I want to do is accidentally shoot someones pet dog they have along for a hike!

I'm taking it to the range tomorrow to try out some Winchester 38 special and Remington 125gr 357 I was able to find.

Cheers all!

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Day after range report. My smile is just now beginning to fade.

Wow. I had no idea their was that much difference between the 38 and the 357. I've been shooting 9mm for a few years now.

I will have to try some 38 sp +P now as well.

Pure. Fun!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    For the 357 I like 110-125gr JHPs but I normally use 38+Ps in the same weights for SD. The magnum loads give more muzzle blast and recoil and are fun to shoot but the 38s and just so much more controllable for me. Modern 38+Ps are great for SD purposes, produce less recoil and muzzle blast and also put less wear n tear on the gun. The 686 will take a steady diet of the magnums better than most 357s though. :twocents:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I vary slightly w/ the above since you are mixing wildlife w/ human threats, I might switch from normal SD rounds to a mid-sized game hunting or "deeper-penetrating" round like Corbon's 125gr DPX (up through some of the 158gr rounds.)

Most of the time, quality hunting loads offer better penetration through heavy bone than standard SD rounds, but at the potential loss of some expansion and an increased risk of over-penetration (not unlike marksmen switching to A-Max bullets when barrier penetration is required.) It is a trade-off, but isn't everything in life.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    except for feral dogs there is not any large animals in Indiana that would be a risk..
    we don't have man eating deer.. In S Indiana your worst wildlife threat will be mosquitos..

Skunks are a risk of rabies, but they are very easy to avoid..

Top Bottom