• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I forgot to add in there i already have a pump gun....wanting to pick up a semi auto is most definatly a requirement.

savage has a 12 gauge w/pistol grip stock and 20" barrel for 170. looks to me like a winchester 1200. imo cant go wrong with the standard 870 leos have carried them for years.

I prefer a good pump gun as well, but he's only looking for semi's.

For sub $700 id just get a 870 500 or 590 and ammo.

Again?

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    As for a semi auto shotgun I'd say a Benelli, they're not cheap but they are of great quality. I know you already have a pump but you mentioned you want a tactical shotgun. I don't know if you've ever heard of or looked at Nighthawk Tactical, but they make an awesome custom Remington 870. I think it might be either the same price or possibly a tad cheaper for a custom Nighthawk Tactical 870 then for something like a Benelli M2. I haven't really seen a shotgun as "tactical" as Nighthawk's Custom 870's. Plus you can tell them what you want and don't want on it (a receiver mounted rail, a forearm mounted light, any kind of stock you could want, several sling mounting locations, a receiver mounted shell carrier). A Remington 1100 would be my 2nd choice for an auto loader shotgun but I'd definitely rather save my money and get a Benelli if I were to get an auto loader. I think it's become obvious at this point but I'd definitely go with a Nighthawk 870 if I was going to go with a tactical shotgun that could also be used as a home defense/self defense weapon.

Last edited:

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Not that this helps price wise, but a Saiga 12 like this one...
    DSCN3724.jpg

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    As for a semi auto shotgun I'd say a Benelli, they're not cheap but they are of great quality. I know you already have a pump but you mentioned you want a tactical shotgun. I don't know if you've ever heard of or looked at Nighthawk Tactical, but they make an awesome custom Remington 870. I think it might be either the same price or possibly a tad cheaper for a custom Nighthawk Tactical 870 then for something like a Benelli M2. I haven't really seen a shotgun as "tactical" as Nighthawk's Custom 870's. Plus you can tell them what you want and don't want on it (a receiver mounted rail, a forearm mounted light, any kind of stock you could want, several sling mounting locations, a receiver mounted shell carrier). A Remington 1100 would be my 2nd choice for an auto loader shotgun but I'd definitely rather save my money and get a Benelli if I were to get an auto loader. I think it's become obvious at this point but I'd definitely go with a Nighthawk 870 if I was going to go with a tactical shotgun that could also be used as a home defense/self defense weapon.

And again, not really meeting the requirements laid out by the OP.

Hey, I know, let's tell him why he really shouldn't even be considering a shotgun in the first place, because (insert YOUR favorite platform here) are better.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    You should just get a good over/under? Jeez! ;)

Seriously, Mossberg or Remington are going to serve your needs perfectly fine. It really comes down to which model you like the best. Since you're familiar with the Mossberg platform (you said you shot one) and you liked it, there is really no going wrong with that choice. Find what you like and then shoot the s**t outta it.

As the Famous Kirk Freeman is wont to say, "When it comes to firearms, the subjective IS objective." Then add a smiley face to that.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    And again, not really meeting the requirements laid out by the OP.

Hey, I know, let's tell him why he really shouldn't even be considering a shotgun in the first place, because (insert YOUR favorite platform here) are better.

It doesn't really get any more "Tactical" than a Blunderbuss.

kili-historical-blunderbuss.jpg

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

Considering he left his budget and the auto-loader requirement out of the OP. My comment is still valid. Sub $700 he shouldn't be looking at auto-loaders.

The "tactical shotgun" would imply to me that it would be something he would be willing to stake his life on. To me $700 in that regard is whats the saying "caviar tastes but bologna budget"

We tell people all the time not to buy substandard handguns and save up for a glock or M&P all the time. Shotguns are no different. Hes a couple hundred away from a Benelli if he wants a semi find good deal on a used M1.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Considering he left his budget and the auto-loader requirement out of the OP. My comment is still valid. Sub $700 he shouldn't be looking at auto-loaders.

The "tactical shotgun" would imply to me that it would be something he would be willing to stake his life on. To me $700 in that regard is whats the saying "caviar tastes but bologna budget"

We tell people all the time not to buy substandard handguns and save up for a glock or M&P all the time. Shotguns are no different. Hes a couple hundred away from a Benelli if he wants a semi find good deal on a used M1.

So, the Mossberg's are no good?

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Honestly its just going to be a play gun. In the HD area i would grab my handgun that sits next to my bed first. Also I have noticed that just because you buy a more expensive gun doesnt make it a better gun. Im not saying the Benelli is a bad gun at all ....im sure its a great gun. But one thing i have learned is you can buy a decent gun and improve on it and run right with the top guns.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Honestly its just going to be a play gun.
    And in your OP you said tactical so you want to mess around with a basic tac shotgun. Get something so cheap it never matters if you only use it as a door stop and 4th of July OR get something mainstream so you can easily trade or sell it if you never play with it much and you decide it is a waste of your money. AKA buy used.

If you want to play clay games, no tactical gun is the best way to start. All shotguns do not play equally in all games. Yes you can shoot at clays with a tac gun for good practice with it, but if you know you primarily intend to do clays, don't start with a tac gun.

Tactical pump get an 18" Mossberg or Remington 870, used or new.

Semi, used Benelli M1 as close to $500 as possible but not over $650. Lesser known but easy to move the Beretta 1201P, same price range. Again in 18". Beretta is the worst of the 4 choices because if you truly want to play that can mean trying various parts, configurations and techniques. Beretta comes in last place for aftermarket parts available to the platform.

In third place, Benelli M1. You buy it as is and pretty much leave it as is, you may want to try a PG stock vs standard and mess around with shell holders. Accessories are pricey at times, most are not needed. M1's rock as is right out of the box or off the used rack. Great value.

Mossberg, very affordable price of the gun offsets money you waste on buying stupid parts like a PG foregrip and toothy barrels but there are tons of options out there for the Mossberg, some are good.

870, for the true lego lover with money to burn. Parts galore, new and used, most are designed to suck money out of the shotgun owner at the highest margin possible, not solve a true need or solve it reliably. Stick to well known, quality brands for parts for both Remington and Mossberg.

Top Bottom