• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm new to suppressors and have a few questions. Sorry in advance if they're basic noob questions...

With regard to 22lr suppressors:
    1) I can tell a huge difference obviously between subsonic and standard high velocity ammo shot through a rifle such as a 10/22. Does the suppressor quiet at all the high velocity ammo?

2) Is there a noticeable difference between the subsonic and standard ammo for a suppressed pistol such as a P22 or Mosquito?

Larger calibers:
    3) Is there an equivalent to subsonic ammo for larger caliber such as 9mm being shot from a suppressed carbine or a suppressed AR shooting 223?

4) How does the performance of the larger calibers suppressed compare to the 22 cans for both rifles/carbines and also pistols.

Thanks in advance...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    1) Yes, it will also substantially quiet standard vel. ammo from a rifle

2) The shorter the barrel, the less likely standard vel. bulk pack ammo will go subsonic out of a 3-4" barreled pistol. Walmart Bulk packs seem to run about 50/50 for me on if they'd go supersonic out of my old P22 (sold it); a higher % go supersonic out of my 5" barreled Ruger. Higher quality standard vel. supersonic ammo (think CCI) will probably go supersonic more often even out of shorter barrels.

3) 147gr 9mm and just about any .45ACP will stay subsonic MOST of the time from factory loadings (atmospheric conditions and elevation will change the speed of sound) I'm not familiar enough with rifle calibers to answer the rest.

4) Large...small... What matters most is the speed of the projectile and the amount of powder detonated when the primer is struck. You CAN get a .22 unsupressed that's louder than a .30 cal rifle (I presume)

-J-

Top Bottom