• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    I`am thinking of getting a suppressor for my ar15, a Kestrel 5.56, I was just wondering if it would effect the accuracy. The rifle shoots one inch groups at 100 yards I would hate to give that up just for a quieter rifle.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm sure others with more experience will chime in, but suppressors typically aid in accuracy/consistency. The only thing you would be giving up is weight.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    There might be a POI shift, but it should be consistent. If it drops your point of impact one inch, it will always be one inch. Most people just adjust for the POI shift when shooting and dont bother to resight the gun. That doesnt necessarily mean you will have a POI shift, and if you do, you can always take the suppressor off when you want precision.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Suppressor accuracy

I have shot suppressed rimfires and most recently a Remington XR100 in 223. In every case, accuracy improved!! On the 223, point of impact raised 8" at 100 yards but the windage did not move. Groups at 100 yards went from 5/8" to around 3/8". These cans are amazing. Now if we could just get Obama's ATFE to approve the paperwork in less than 1/2 a year life would be great:D

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    If it's a take apart can, make sure you put it back together the same way each time, pay attention to the orientation of the baffle ports.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    If it's a take apart can, make sure you put it back together the same way each time, pay attention to the orientation of the baffle ports.

How much does the line up on the baffles affect POI consistency?

I am looking at getting a HTA 7.62 can. One thing I wanted to do was put it on a rifle I am (very) slowly building for a distance shooter. Have done very little research on what cans do to this. I knew of the POI shift that almost always occurs, but didn't know about the baffle orientation.

Any info from people that play this game would be appreciated.

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Email the Huntertown guys for a specific answer. Basically, you orient the baffles 90 degrees to each other as you drop them in. ie 1st at noon, 2nd at 3, 3rd at 6, 4th one at 9, 5th at noon, etc. Lets the gases escape evenly, to minimize eccentric force on the bullet.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I can't think of a reason to explain it, but my GSG1911 pistol does see an improvement in accuracy with a Huntertown Guardian installed. Perhaps it helps stabilize the barrel position by preloading it or something.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    If I'm not mistaken the suppressor can redirect/alter gas turbulence behind a bullet and increase accuracy. It may even increase barrel harmonics...

I'd like to hear what some of the experts say tho.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I have a gemtech HVT on my rig and their was indeed a POI shift to the six o-clock @ 100 yards by six inches. Groups were tight, but definitely a POI shift.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    How much does the line up on the baffles affect POI consistency?

I am looking at getting a HTA 7.62 can. One thing I wanted to do was put it on a rifle I am (very) slowly building for a distance shooter. Have done very little research on what cans do to this. I knew of the POI shift that almost always occurs, but didn't know about the baffle orientation.

Any info from people that play this game would be appreciated.
    Shot this same can on 300 AAC Blackout AR-15 this week. Was only using an Aimpoint red dot, but at 45 yds POI moved three inches higher. Same tight group. No change in windage. Had limited range space so could not check at 100 yds. I am going to mount a Leupold and see if the results can be duplicated and then allowed for on the scope (IE. three clicks lower with can @100 yds) The can was too warm to take off without hand protection after 40 rounds. Punched three dime size holes through 1/4' soft steel target using 110 grain Hornady rounds.:rockwoot:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just took mine apart and arranged the baffles to 90 degrees out each. Will see what difference that makes on the short .22 barrel.

Have an HTA 5.56 can in jail right now. Really want to get a 7.62 can for the .300 Blackout I just built. Have to either get my .308 bolt gun threaded or buy another one. Then I was thinking about one of my AK's as well after I check the threads.

Top Bottom