• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm looking at the following for BOB/Survival/Camping as I only have a couple of small folders right now.

SOG Seal Pup Elite (I had one on order but canceled it because botachtactical .com service is a joke!)

Cold Steel Recon Scout

Ontario Rat-7

I plan on combining this with a Leatherman Wave in my kit.

Any recommendations or other options? Thought I would do some more research.

Thanks,

FG12351

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Personally, none of those would really fit what I need in a BOB/camp knife.

First you need to define what cutting chores you'll need to accomplish. Then find as few tools as will fulfill all of those chores. In all my looking, I've never found that one do all tool.

I use a triple threat approach:

Multi-tool, I believe most bags have a Gerber model in there. (genereal cutting, and all around tool needs)
    Small folder, Benchmade, Spyderco, Strider, whatever you fancy (general cutting, skinning, misc chores) (you could also use a small fixed blade here if that's your gig)
    Heavy fixed blade, Becker Knife and Tool BK1 or BKT3 (heavy chopping, splitting, and hammer duties)

That is pretty much as light as I can get and still accomplish everything I might need to do.

Tinman....

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'll probably get flamed (mildly) for this, but I would recommend you go look at nutnfancy's videos on YouTube. You'll have to put up with some blather, to be sure, but you will also get to see several different knives and a discussion of their philosophy.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    tinman,

Thanks for the info. I'm considering maybe a small folder or fixed and a much larger as well.

rmcrob,

I've already been watching the nutnfancy videos. Some good info there.

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I'm looking at the following for BOB/Survival/Camping as I only have a couple of small folders right now.

SOG Seal Pup Elite (I had one on order but canceled it because botachtactical .com service is a joke!)

Cold Steel Recon Scout

Ontario Rat-7

I plan on combining this with a Leatherman Wave in my kit.

Any recommendations or other options? Thought I would do some more research.

Thanks,

FG12351

Before you make your selection, picture yourself engaged in the potential environment you will be working in. (No, you probably won't be engaged in hand to hand combat:draw:)

I have worked in austere environments for many years; after utilizing numerous tools and gadgets and I have settled on the "less is more" approach.

Fixed blades are generally too large for the delicate work of skinning and making primitive tools, but too small for the larger job of chopping, clearing, and digging.
    Also, if you can't fit it in your pocket (pants or coat) it is extravagant and probably too large for most necessary applications.

Multi-tools are great for the small jobs (fixing, working, and even skinning)

For the larger jobs of chopping, clearing, and digging, you would be better off with a hatchet with opposed pommel or spike.
    Some hatchets can be disassembled and stored easily in a hydration sized pack.

Unfortunately "Do-It-All" tools are never capable of doing all things and those that don't understand this normally can't either.

Chapstick with sun-block, 1 each - $1.00
    Bic Lighter, 1 each - $1.00
    Gerber Tool, 1 each - $30.00

All of the above, easily concealed - Priceless

Hope this helps!

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    Out of the ones you mentioned, the RAT 7 would be my choice. Plus the customer service that Jeff and Mike provide is second to none.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Out of the ones you mentioned, the RAT 7 would be my choice. Plus the customer service that Jeff and Mike provide is second to none.

Don't forget that Jeff and Mike do not make a RAT-7, that is Ontairo and they and RAT have split. Actually a pretty big mess, all on Ontarios side from what everyone can see too.

I do agree that the RC line of RAT Cutlery knives would be a great chioce in this field though! The RC6 is the longest blade, but the new RC5 is amazing and I want one! Check out this blade too, and then go to the RAT Cutlery subforum on bladeforums.com and you will see some of the best customer service bar none and understand why they have the following they do.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks for the input guys.

I've got the Leatherman Wave and after more research am looking at the RAT RC-4 or RC-6. Anyone have one of these knives?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm considering maybe a small folder or fixed and a much larger as well.

+1 on this approach. A smallish knife for delicate jobs (fixed or folder) and a big knife for everything else. And, I'm thinking BIGGER than 6". Something that can do some heavy work.

This link pretty much expresses my view on woodcraft knives:

Field Blade Review - Bush Knives

If you're going to a gun fight, bring enough gun.
    If you're going off the beaten path, bring enough knife.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Get a heavy blade, but one that has flex and at least six inche long. One that you can drive through a car door if needed. One you can chop with as well as clean with. They're out there, I have one, but I can't remember the manufacture. Busse (or something like) I think, but I bought mine years ago and at the time, the maker did not put their name on their knives since there were used by our forces over seas.
    I own two of their knives.

The seller still sells their knives at the INDY 1500. They were at the last one so I know they are still in business. I paid about $350 for mine many years ago. Yes todays price is higher. Mine today is over 500 dollars. However, it is a knife that will last a life time of sharpening and cut bone to boot.

Remember, your knife will likely be your last weapon of defense or last tool for collecting food, so if you truly want one for when the SHTF, get the best you can afford my friend. Don't skimp. Remember what you are buying it for. Someday you just may thank me.

However, Please support our INGO FORUM Members and buy from them when you can.

Last edited:

RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    What do you want to do with the blade?

I am by no means an expert. I am not a combat knife type, and I don't fully believe that one knife can do it all.

As far as bushcraft, a solid Mora blade is the best starting point that I have seen. Not fancy, less costly, and is more than capable of many, many chores.

It will skin, fillet, split kindling, bore, strike fire, cut cordage and slice tomatoes.

It is not a combat kind of blade, nor was it designed as.

Do you love the feel of a good piece of steel, seeing what it can do?

Buy a couple of Moras from Sportsmansguide.com

My :twocents:

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My survival fixed blade is a Romanian SAR AKM type 1 bayonet, they are dirt cheap, hefty, sharp 5 3/4" carbon steel blade with serrated spine, designed for multi-purpose use, everything from a turning your rifle into a spear, to a hand to hand combat, to a general purpose camp knife, to a fence/barbed wire cutter.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I bought 2 Spyderco Tenacious knives (1 for EDC 1 for the BOB) and a RAT Cutlery RC-4 (I really wanted one and the desert tan is awesome looking). I'm going to add a larger knife later (Becker BK7) and/or a large hatchet/small axe later on.

I'm assuming a larger 7-10" blade knife is more of a chopping knife, would a small axe or hatchet accomplish this better and be more durable and multifunctional (use the pommel as a hammer etc?)

Thanks,

FG12351

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    yeah big knife for chopping but can be used for other tasks. ethan becker himself recommends the bk9 for chopping tasks. as far as a hatchet for hiking I carry a S&W hatchet, it cost me $25 years ago. I wasn't expecting much from them but it's the best hatchet I've ever used, I have abused that thing for years and it still wants more.Axes: Smith & Wesson Cuttin Horse Bull's Eye Hatchet [Model CH100]. for chopping I would use a hatchet it's what there made for not that a bk7 can't but you can go through more easier with a hatchet.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well I got a GI M-9 Bayonet Knife with sheath, serrated edge on top for cutting wood, double as a wire cuter with the sheath and has a built in stone to keep the blade sharp.
    Folding knife is made by Cold Steel, forgot the model, but is sharp as hell to the point it's almost like a razor, and this blade has only been sharpened twice in 7 years.

That's my 2, have been considering adding a small hatchet to the mix, lot of models that are small in size but still have the weight and ability to rip through some small sixed trees.

Top Bottom