• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Well my 92 Rangers old motor is starting to go after about 300k lol, So the time has come for another motor so heres the options. A 302 with headers and a factory 2 barrel carb, I have the motor but I will need a inline fuel pump, motor mounts, Tranny mounts, HEI Distributor, a heavier rear axle to handle the power increase, and a automatic transmission probably a C6 3 speed. Results will be more power and torque and I wont be losing very much economy and many parts available. Next choice is a 2.3l 4d55te turbo diesel as made by Mitsubishi these motors were available in the 85-87 Ranger, Mitsubishi Mighty Max, and the Dodge D50. I have everything for the swap except an interior wiring harness so Ill have to cut one up and a Intercooler which I may have one somewhere in the barn. The results of the swap would be about the same in power compared to the little worn out 2.9l V6 I have well maybe a slight decrease but not much, but a huge increase in fuel economy and the cool factor of having a lifted Diesel Ranger. . . . . . . .With stacks lol. Its a 1 wire Diesel setup so no computers its all mechanical much like a late 80s early 90s Cummins Dodge. 3rd would be finding a cheap 4bt Cummins. What do INGOs car people think and I want UNBIASED OPINIONS I dont care that your a Chevy Dodge or Import guy as its all the same hobby. Its just my Weekend fun truck as well as a backup vehicle/BOV. A little about the truck its a 1992 Ford Ranger 4x4 Regular Cab Short Box with a 4 inch Suspension lift and a 2 inch Body lift on 33 inch tires. My next Vehicle as a toy will be a milsurp 5 ton or 2.5 ton truck so this will suffice until I can save enough money to find one:rockwoot:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I would go 4bt, but you might have issues with the weight on the frame. A company swapped a Cummins into a JK and added a bunch frame reinforcing.

semajeep-33.jpg

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Whatever you do don't forget the smaller diesels operate at a different RPM tangent than their indoor bigger brothers so gear accordingly. I know where a brand new 4bt is sitting around here if you are interested.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    5.3 lm7 imo. reliable, powerful, perhaps easiest to swap, and CHEAP!

Its a Ranger IE Ford product if I had an S10 I would. I already have the 302 and the Diesel. Id have to find a motor, tranny and Transfer, ECU, Full Wiring Harnesses, Rear axle to handle the power, build motor mounts, and whatever conversion kit needed and more than likely Driveshafts sounds more expensive

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    If you already have the little diesel go for it. Should be an easy swap, won't be a powerhouse but a good driver. If it is less for driving and more for having fun go with the 5.0. Great power and rpm for throwing mud out of the tires. If it is just for coolness and because you love diesels (like I do)go with the 4bt. Be prepared to do a lot of reinforcing because it will shake the hell out of the truck and be HEAVY. It will offer almost unlimited power and reliability though.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    2.3 if you already have a lot of it. Any of the other options even the 302 will add a bit of weight. Will probably still need at least stiffer springs even for the 302. Might research weight of the 6 and weight of the 302 and see I the springs and shocks up front will be ok

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    2.3 if you already have a lot of it. Any of the other options even the 302 will add a bit of weight. Will probably still need at least stiffer springs even for the 302. Might research weight of the 6 and weight of the 302 and see I the springs and shocks up front will be ok

302 weighs around 150 lbs more dressed

Top Bottom