• ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    One woman said, "the proliferation of illegal guns is just rampant."
    And another part stated that the SWAT teams had to respond with military-level firearms.
    They even said that instead of school-age children having fist fights, the disagreements have escalated to gun fights.

Now.... why in the world do they really think guns are the problem? It was nice that Mayor Daley said that the parents need to talk to their kids and their neighbor's kids and let them know that this violence won't be tolerated, but at this point, will that really help?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Now.... why in the world do they really think guns are the problem? It was nice that Mayor Daley said that the parents need to talk to their kids and their neighbor's kids and let them know that this violence won't be tolerated, but at this point, will that really help?
    Pami, maybe the churches are correct? Maybe we are simply lacking morality and that has led us to a situation where family don't exist, men are fathering children and then walking away from responsibility, children are left to run the streets with no guidance and parents are the worst possible role models that are imaginable.

Here is just the introduction of a report from the Heritage Foundation:
    The Real Root Causes of Violent Crime: The Breakdown of Marriage, Family, and Community
    by Patrick F. Fagan, Ph.D.
    Backgrounder #1026

INTRODUCTION

Policymakers at last are coming to recognize the connection between the breakdown of American families and various social problems. The unfolding debate over welfare reform, for instance, has been shaped by the wide acceptance in recent years that children born into single-parent families are much more likely than children of intact families to fall into poverty and welfare dependence themselves in later years. These children, in fact, face a daunting array of problems.

While this link between illegitimacy and chronic welfare dependency now is better understood, policymakers also need to appreciate another strong and disturbing pattern evident in scholarly studies: the link between illegitimacy and violent crime and between the lack of parental attachment and violent crime. Without an understanding of the root causes of criminal behavior -- how criminals are formed -- Members of Congress and state legislators cannot understand why whole sectors of society, particularly in urban areas, are being torn apart by crime. And without that knowledge, sound policymaking is impossible.

A review of the empirical evidence in the professional literature of the social sciences gives policymakers an insight into the root causes of crime.

Consider, for instance:
    • Over the past thirty years, the rise in violent crime parallels the rise in families abandoned by fathers.
    • High-crime neighborhoods are characterized by high concentrations of families abandoned by fathers.
    • State-by-state analysis by Heritage scholars indicates that a 10 percent increase in the percentage of children living in single-parent homes leads typically to a 17 percent increase in juvenile crime.
    • The rate of violent teenage crime corresponds with the number of families abandoned by fathers.
    • The type of aggression and hostility demonstrated by a future criminal often is foreshadowed in unusual aggressiveness as early as age five or six.
    • The future criminal tends to be an individual rejected by other children as early as the first grade who goes on to form his own group of friends, often the future delinquent gang.
    On the other hand:
    • Neighborhoods with a high degree of religious practice are not high-crime neighborhoods.
    • Even in high-crime inner-city neighborhoods, well over 90 percent of children from safe, stable homes do not become delinquents. By contrast only 10 percent of children from unsafe, unstable homes in these neighborhoods avoid crime.
    • Criminals capable of sustaining marriage gradually move away from a life of crime after they get married.
    • The mother's strong affectionate attachment to her child is the child's best buffer against a life of crime.
    • The father's authority and involvement in raising his children are also a great buffer against a life of crime.
    The scholarly evidence, in short, suggests that at the heart of the explosion of crime in America is the loss of the capacity of fathers and mothers to be responsible in caring for the children they bring into the world. This loss of love and guidance at the intimate levels of marriage and family has broad social consequences for children and for the wider community. The empirical evidence shows that too many young men and women from broken families tend to have a much weaker sense of connection with their neighborhood and are prone to exploit its members to satisfy their unmet needs or desires. This contributes to a loss of a sense of community and to the disintegration of neighborhoods into social chaos and violent crime. If policymakers are to deal with the root causes of crime, therefore, they must deal with the rapid rise of illegitimacy.​

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    That's actually kind of my point. I don't understand how lawmakers can say it's the gun's fault when we've have such a breakdown in society. I do agree that as a whole, the moral values of American society has gone down, and that the method of how a child is raised greatly affects the attitude and subsequent violent tendencies of that child.

However, that being said, a child also makes his or her own decisions. My parents divorced when I was four and my sister was two. Although my dad was involved in our lives (more active that a lot of divorced dads, I'll admit), he really didn't *get* what it means to be a full-time parent until he married his fourth wife who had kids of her own that were our age. In all the various descriptions of a child from a broken home with unfortunate circumstances, I fit that description and should have been an outcast of society. I was fortunate that my mom taught me that nobody should ever tell me that I can't do something for any reason, that she cared enough to make sure I did my school work and continued to encourage me even when my school work was above what she had learned in school and she could no longer help me. I had friends all through school that were also from "broken homes" who despised their deadbeat dads, and they still turned out alright and well-adjusted. Granted, I grew up in Greenwood, which isn't exactly a hotbed of criminal activity, but I didn't grow up with a well-adjusted two-parent God-fearing family either.

Responsibility does rely on the parents. But they need to start that responsibility from Day One, not after the guns, knives, and other weapons are already in the hands of our children.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Man you guys have got it all wrong!

It's not the breakdown of society, morality, or family.
    It's the Reptilians I tell you!

They are in Kahoots with the Mole People , and the Greys!

Together these three groups have put evil Black Helicopter technologies in our hands in the form of firearms that cause their owners to commit evil acts of violence!

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Man you guys have got it all wrong!

It's not the breakdown of society, morality, or family.
    It's the Reptilians I tell you!

They are in Kahoots with the Mole People , and the Greys!

Together these three groups have put evil Black Helicopter technologies in our hands in the form of firearms that cause their owners to commit evil acts of violence!
    I think we work together ??? I listen to the same rant from a coffee buzzed co-worker at least once a week. This is the only reptilian I know, ya gotta wait till then end unless your as old a I am !!!
    YouTube - HAMBURGER DUDE

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    I think people in Chicago are just Bitter and cling to guns.... oh wait thats wrong. I dunno some Big Shot from Illinois said something about Guns and Bitterness, and well I got confused.
    I'm sure he will help the rest of country out and we can all be like Chicago soon. Crime Free!

Top Bottom