• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

High speed chase and shooting from vehicle at each other.

Is this trained here in Indiana? Wouldn't the Officer, Trooper, Deputy be worried about hitting a home or innocent people doing this here in Indiana?

This happened in NM and probably out where population is not very dense. Maybe rules are different for different areas.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Maybe we should equip cruisers with knock out Plexiglas firing ports cut into the windows, so they don't have to dock the taxpayers every time they take their own windshield out!

That's some pretty serious multitasking goin' on there.
    Driving at speed, workin' the radio, ducking fire, and manipulating an AR inside a vehicle.
    Think about that next time you hesitate on a tap-rack-bang drill at the range.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Note to Big Red....
    This is a requirement for being considered to being elevated to Mod status.

Just giving you a heads up in case you want to start practicin.

Well, I have had training on shooting through windshields. It's a *****!

That skill is not needed though....INGOers are better behaved.....well, mostly....

IMG_0593.JPG

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

Is this trained here in Indiana? Wouldn't the Officer, Trooper, Deputy be worried about hitting a home or innocent people doing this here in Indiana?

This happened in NM and probably out where population is not very dense. Maybe rules are different for different areas.

I would say Department policy aside it’s 1 of 2 things.

1 how you articulate your statement (was it really necessary)

2 Do only what your career and checkbook can handle
    (If it goes really really good not an issue if you muck up will your administration still back you)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

No, it isn't trained here.

When I worked in Tennessee in the late 90s, THP still shot at fleeing vehicles.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I would say Department policy aside it’s 1 of 2 things.

1 how you articulate your statement (was it really necessary)

2 Do only what your career and checkbook can handle
    (If it goes really really good not an issue if you muck up will your administration still back you)
    1. Was it really necessary? Obviously it was necessary because the officer was being shot at.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    We did way back in 1996, practicing shooting drills from stationary cars with shot out windshields and hoods for that matter on the old MCSD Eagle Creek Range. We also practiced during EVOC on the Plainfield ILEA track, amongst other vehicle born scary stuff.
    But you had better have had one hell of a reason to shoot up the streets of Indy.
    P.S. some of you have seen it, the IMPD vehicle chase set to music spanning about 5-10 mins on the West side ?!?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    We did way back in 1996, practicing shooting drills from stationary cars with shot out windshields and hoods for that matter on the old MCSD Eagle Creek Range. We also practiced during EVOC on the Plainfield ILEA track, amongst other vehicle born scary stuff.
    But you had better have had one hell of a reason to shoot up the streets of Indy.
    P.S. some of you have seen it, the IMPD vehicle chase set to music spanning about 5-10 mins on the West side ?!?
    We practice shooting from stationary vehicles, but not at vehicles.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Wow. That takes a lot of skill. Of course, there is a big question of comparative risk. The officer would have to articulate why it was more risky to not shoot (e.g. the b.g. would likely shoot and kill other victims if not stopped.)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Wow. That takes a lot of skill. Of course, there is a big question of comparative risk. The officer would have to articulate why it was more risky to not shoot (e.g. the b.g. would likely shoot and kill other victims if not stopped.)
    I believe that was the deputies thinking. Anytime you have a bad guy willing to shoot at law enforcement you can bet they don't care about killing or wounding anyone at that point.

How much would bullet resistant windshields cost to put into patrol cars? Wouldn't that help protect the law enforcement officers inside? Like stated up thread put a few drop open slots in the windshield to open when they need to shoot through them.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    1. Was it really necessary? Obviously it was necessary because the officer was being shot at.
    In some scenarios shooting at a vehicle while moving is a futile effort. Does he risk have a return.

When I worked for the Us Marshals Service (like several agencies) had a strict policy against shooting at a vehicle occupants due to it became an unguided 3,000 pound Bullet

So respectfully there are several factors that come into play other than than “the Officer was getting shot at”

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    In some scenarios shooting at a vehicle while moving is a futile effort. Does he risk have a return.

When I worked for the Us Marshals Service (like several agencies) had a strict policy against shooting at a vehicle occupants due to it became an unguided 3,000 pound Bullet

So respectfully there are several factors that come into play other than than “the Officer was getting shot at”
    You asked if it was necessary. Was it the proper action is the question. My agency strictly forbids it.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    You asked if it was necessary. Was it the proper action is the question. My agency strictly forbids it.
    That’s what I was meaning but perhaps I didn’t articulate it as well as I should.

So let’s say you were clear agency wise. Even if you can or are legal is it the best way (that whole word Reasonableness that we get judged on)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom