• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    So while my wife is cleaning out her aunt's house she found her aunt's deceased husbands old .38 revolver. Loaded down with nickel plated hollow points.

I don't know much about it. I unloaded it when she got it home and did a quick barrel check. Looks in excellent shape. It was wrapped in a towel and napkin and had been sitting under a ton of stuff on their kitchen table(think hoarder) for who knows how long. I suspect he soaked the napkin in some sort of preservative back in the day.

Anyway, anything special to look for...nice looking gun for what it is. 5 shot, double action revolver. Nothing I really care for but it appears to be fully functional and ready to serve its intended purpose.

It looks pretty much just like this one. Is this a knockoff of a K Frame Smith?(I know about old west revolvers...not so much about new stuff)

taurus model 85 38 spl : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Thanks!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    J frame, but yeah, pretty much. Same cylinder release latch, same basic design, etc. Older ones can sometimes be unreliable as the QC wasn't that great in the early days. Taurus will still take care of them, though, if you happen to bend a crane or break a spring. Cheap, ubiquitous, and functional...but not a standout performer in any category.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I can believe that. Her uncle was tight.....squeaked bad when he walked...so I just groaned when I saw 'Taurus' on the side of it. I should have known. He had 2 or 3 pistols in the house I heard. This is the first one I saw. Not sure what happened to the other one as I believe its been found already. Its in my safe now. I was asked to clean it and store it. I may buy it just for the hell of it for a couple hundred just to have....maybe try to cross reference the serial number to get a date of manufacture.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Taurus will take care of MOST of their revolvers, those that were made under the lifetime warranty. There is a cut off point however, but I can not tell you what it is.
    I would call Taurus with the serial# and description. I have found their CS to be very helpful, unlike some.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Not the quality of a S&W, but very good revolvers. I have 3, and one is a newer model 85. Take it out for some range time. I bet you like it.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Not the quality of a S&W, but very good revolvers. I have 3, and one is a newer model 85. Take it out for some range time. I bet you like it.

I have a ton of .38 spcl ammo so I will most definitely shoot it before I 'give it back' or sell it for them or whatever they want to do with it.

Top Bottom