• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NolanKeith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Already building my AR, M&P 9c, now its down to a sig p250 or FNX 9. I am a lefty shooter and both feel right in my hand. Need some advice from anyone owning these guns. Thanks!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have a couple of P250s and it looks like they got some of the early bugs out of the series and the price can be hard to argue with for a gun w/ factory night sights. That said, I would rather have a FNX.

I like the external hammer and the true DA/SA action over the SIG's trigger.

NolanKeith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    That's what like about it too. I have 2 striker fire guns. I just didn't know about buying 200$ barrels and getting to shoot 4 different calibers with one frame. For the price either one is well in my range but I thinks your right with the DA/SA

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For the price of the conversion kits for the Sig....you can buy a few other complete firearms or a nice starter pile of ammo!

I had a P250 2SUM for a short time...It was OK. Extra mags were a pain to find and expensive. Plus there's been a frame re-design for the thing and the mags aren't interchangeable between the old & new frames.

So, of the two you have listed...based on my experience...I'd go with the FNx

-J-

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I have a P250 and hated it. It was the redesign to. Plauged with FTF, FTE and the longest trigger pull. The upside it the trigger pull is smooth as butter, the downsde is the whole gun. The last straw for me was when the slide lock mechanism broke out of nowhere.

That said I'd go with the FNX-9, my sig was a horrible mistake for me...

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I've been mulling over this same type of question in recent weeks--low price on the P250, vs. spending more on an FNX/FNP or a classic SIG.

As a guy who often will buy a gun, only to sell/trade it a few months later--I would definitely go for the FNX. The SIG P250 seems to have a bad reputation in the online world, and its resale value isn't very good. (Personally, I ended up deciding to spend more and get a classic SIG, the P229.)

I should, of course, point out that I have never fired either pistol. What really matters is what YOU like/dislike about a particular weapon, and there are certainly people out there who love their P250s and consider them to be a great deal, much less expensive than the SIGs that have a better reputation. But I keep coming back to the resale value; if I buy something and don't like it, or just don't use it, I don't want it to be one of those guns that has such a bad rep that I take an extra-big loss on the thing when I decide to resell.

The personal experience I DO have it with another polymer SIG, the SP2022. Mine functions flawlessly, and has a DA/SA trigger which I like. Some SIG guys deride the SP guns as not being "real" SIGs, just like the P250, but looking around online I've not seen as many complaints about failures and problems with the SP2022, it seems that it's more of a bias against polymer frames in those who are fans of the "classic" SIG line.

When I've read about the government trials of the P250, and how SIG tried to defend the pistol by implying that reliability isn't so important, I decided right then and there that I will never buy a P250.

Last edited:

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Before thinking about a P250, read this.

Interesting quotation from the document:
    ATF's agents recorded 58 stoppages with Sig Sauer's full-size and compact pistols, 13 of which were considered to be gun-induced and 45 shooter-induced.[4] Id., Tab 2, Competitive Range Determination, at 3.[5] In contrast, the agents recorded a total of 16 shooter‑induced stoppages for Smith & Wesson's guns and 7 shooter-induced stoppages for Glock's guns. There were no gun-induced stoppages recorded for the Smith & Wesson or Glock guns.

Another interesting one:
    The crux of Sig Sauer's argument is that the SSB members focused on the number of stoppages the shooters encountered, instead of the actual ratings and comments provided by the shooters, and equated a high number of stoppages with unreliability‑‑even where the shooters had not made this connection.

So SIG was basically arguing that a shooter would not consider stoppages of the pistol to be an indication of unreliability.

Well, for %$#@ sure I would consider stoppages to be an indication of unreliability! And, these were P250s that SIG had selected for inclusion in the trials...so I'd imagine that they checked them over pretty well before submitting them, and they still had an alarming number of failures.

Last edited:

thecollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    NWI
    If you live nearby, you can see my sig 250. I have it in .40 and it came with a .357 sig barrel also. .357 sig is a hot round that some of the police dept. are using.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would save up a few more bucks and get a classic Sig like a P226 or P229. I own an FNX-9 and Sig P228 9mm and I like the FNX just fine, But I love the Sig. infact I own 3 Sigs at the time of this writing, a P220, a P226 in .40 and my P228. All have been very reliable with the round count highest on the P220 right now Id say close to 1500 rnds and not one failure. Im a big Sig fan but even I tell people to stay away from the polly Sigs. Although Ive heard good things about the SP2022 you should look more into that one if you want a polly Sig.

Top Bottom