• ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    For what it is worth.
    Just started working up a new 230 grain 45 acp load & was trying to do things by the book.
    Start at recommended minimum, check for signs of pressure, etc.
    Was aiming at a bowling pin about 7 yards away, on the 4th shot or so I felt something hit my leg below the knee. Looked around a bit and found that the slug had bounced back and that was what got me.
    Not real spooky because the slug didn't hit my leg hard enough to bruise, just one of those things that happens and helps remind you that wearing good eye protection is a good idea.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    There must be some real spring back in those pins for that to happen. I bet you anything you said something to the effect of "Oh S..t".

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Aw, man. Your story needs to be as follows: "I was working up some .45 loads today and testing them on bowling pins. My load ws so good that it hit the pin, and spun it around so fast the bullet came out and hit me in the leg. Man, what a load!" :D:D:D

BTW, congrats on being lucky. I have been thinking of trying to get some pins to try out.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I did the same thing with a .38 special out of a snub nose, It came back slow enough i saw it come towards me. I kinda did a deer in the headlights kinda thing, "hey what that" then pulled the slug out of the fold of my shirt, Very glad I had eye protection on.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    22 long rifle and a 55 gallon drum when I was a kid. Same thing right below the knee. It must have been a heavy drum or one of the few that were not all rusted out. It was where we shot as kids. Kind of a farm dump.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Anyone who has shot(read, been shot) at Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club has experienced this . I have come away from their 10 yard pistol range with bloddy shins from bullets, rocks etc bouncing back out of the back stop. .357 into that backstop was only done once.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    At Arkansas CC a couple weekends ago for Appleseed my friend got tagged in leg and I got hit in the foot by the same piece of lead from someone shooting steel in one of the other bays

jylederman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Franklin, IN
    I had a similar experience. One of my buddies had the great idea of shooting the pins with a 12 gauge loaded with bird shot. Lets just say we all got sprayed with ricochet pellets

bsmant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    I once caught a bullet fragment just below my nose, which managed to cut my lip open pretty well. I am VERY adamant about eye protection, especially when shooting indoors, as a result.

I have caught over bits of bullet splatter when shooting steel plates and such, which just reinforces that lesson, every time.

Glad to hear you weren't injured.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    At Arkansas CC a couple weekends ago for Appleseed my friend got tagged in leg and I got hit in the foot by the same piece of lead from someone shooting steel in one of the other bays

It's weird shooting there when they're doing a steel challenge. All kinds of stuff comes whizzing and humming over the berm.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Reminds me of that movie "Christmas Story" he wanted a bb gun and his Mom said NO you will shoot your eye out. Plus a big one on eye protection.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    .223 from HK full auto, running semi. Dude had just slapped an Eotech on it, was trying to sight it in on an indoor range, me next bay.
    Hit target hanger at 21 ft and remnant FMJ came back and swatted my leg.
    Welted me up pretty good :)

The only other hit was #6 pellets from some jackarse at a F&W area shooting back up the line on a dove field, at a sparrow hawk. Luckily the branch ahead of me took most of it. I turned him in, after my friend held me back (rules then stipulated no low angle shots, none back along the line and no shot bigger than 7.5). Probably sumpthin 'bout shooting hawks that only kinda sorta at a distance look like a dove too ;)

Dad shot me, his son there, along with gramps. DNR didn't do crap to him.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    For what it is worth.
    Just started working up a new 230 grain 45 acp load & was trying to do things by the book.
    Start at recommended minimum, check for signs of pressure, etc.
    Was aiming at a bowling pin about 7 yards away, on the 4th shot or so I felt something hit my leg below the knee. Looked around a bit and found that the slug had bounced back and that was what got me.
    Not real spooky because the slug didn't hit my leg hard enough to bruise, just one of those things that happens and helps remind you that wearing good eye protection is a good idea.

what was your load?......sounds to me you should have seen the slug comin' out of the barrel if it was gonin' slow enough to bounce off a bowlin' pin.....might what to add a little more powder next time...:twocents:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Them bowling pins are almost as dangerous as Zombies, why do you think there are competitions to practice on them?

I get the strangest looks from the other participant when I let those evil pins have it....... sure, if you want to knock them down the old fashioned way with a ball and all but a gun is more of a challenge.

They don't let me practice at the bowling alley anymore for some reason.....:dunno:

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Everyone has their favorite calibers and, those they hate. My uncle hates 45's for some reason. He calls them bounce em' back's. Glad your ok but can't wait to tell him this one.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I did the same thing with a .38 special out of a snub nose, It came back slow enough i saw it come towards me. I kinda did a deer in the headlights kinda thing, "hey what that" then pulled the slug out of the fold of my shirt, Very glad I had eye protection on.

At the end of the first sentence, I started a slow grin in preparation for "the rest of the story" where you went all full blown matrix on it...

Top Bottom