• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A small handed, small framed woman (presumably a person with less than gorilla like hand strength) is always going to do better with different size/weight/caliber firearms than someone with another physical description. Personal strength is another factor apart from phyisical size.

A good friend is a full sized man that has spent his whole life pushing paper across a desk. Never does his own handiman work, doesn't even play softball with the kids. Against my advice he bought a plastic Springfield compact .40 from the clerk at Gander Mountain. (what a deal we have for you sir, ) He does not have enough grip strength to rack the slide, and he limp wrists it into a jam about every 3rd shot. The pistol works perfectly for me, it is even amazingly accurate for a compact. I am 6'2" 235, size 12 shoes and my hands are a comfortable fit on a double stack Para even with thick fingergroove grips.

We are all different and really good shooting depends on matching a firearm to our size, strength and skills. A person that thinks her findings guarantee a perfect match for them, is in as much error as she was purchasing her compact Kimber. You can spend 100 hours of research on the internet and still have less useful information than shooting 4 different pistols for 15 minutes each. With so many ranges having rental pistols these days, it should be a lot easier to make a better choice right out of the gate. Unlike the friend I taked about above, everyone else I have started in the last few years has rented (or tried some of mine) at least a couple of times before purchase, and they are all pretty happy

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I can safely say that read was not a waste of time. And I very much agree with the line about finger grooves.. they don't work for me. that's why I like my Gen 2 Glock 19...

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    They didn't try to talk her out of it because they knew it was junk. They tried to talk her out of it because she was a women and couldn't handle the mighty .45, best she stick with a snubby. At least that is the way I read it.

I realize they didn't know the gun was junk.
    Turns out from the rest of the story that gun store employee was right she couldn't handle the 45 at least at the start.
    I'm not going to debate the best first gun issue here but the snubby while maybe not the best first gun for everyone would have not left her in tears after the first time on the range. It would have at least worked.
    Kudos to her for not getting discouraged and getting to enjoy the shooting sports.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I realize they didn't know the gun was junk.
    Turns out from the rest of the story that gun store employee was right she couldn't handle the 45 at least at the start.
    I'm not going to debate the best first gun issue here but the snubby while maybe not the best first gun for everyone would have not left her in tears after the first time on the range. It would have at least worked.
    Kudos to her for not getting discouraged and getting to enjoy the shooting sports.

Bosshoss, looking at your avatar, I think you may be a little biased. :): I do think another lesson, as someone else mentioned, would be to send the gun back to the manufacturer before letting someone work on it.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Good read. I think this quote" I would very much like to meet the man whose hand is the model for finger grooves on handguns. I would then like to meet the man who said, “Yes, let’s mold our handgun grips to his hand,” and spit in his coffee." was rather funny. My sisters have said similiar when shooting my hunting revolvers heh.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Bosshoss, looking at your avatar, I think you may be a little biased. :): I do think another lesson, as someone else mentioned, would be to send the gun back to the manufacturer before letting someone work on it.

Yeah Que I'm a revolver guy and that is why I was avoiding the Revolver vs Auto debate that has been done to death.:):
    Yes the gun should have been sent back to the manufacturer.
    She was mad at the dealer and he just sold her what she wanted:dunno:
    She did a lot things wrong in the article like having someone work on the gun before letting the manufacturer try to fix it.
    Still a good read.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Indeed.

It is a good article, but I'm going to disagree about all-metal guns. I just haven't warmed up to any polymer pistol I've tried yet. I'd rather invest in metal and do what it takes to carry it. That just seems like a more "real", long-term product to me. Metal affords customization, reconditioning, and refinishing options that polymer can't match, either.

Top Bottom