• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    I grew-up with a gun in my hand -- mostly a shotgun. About 2 1/2 years ago (1 month after my first son was born) I made the conscious decision to start shooting my pistol (singular; I only owned one at the time) regularly, just in case I had to use it for something other than paper. Fast-Forward to the present and I can say confidently I would pick 9mm round count over power of 45 ACP and 38/357.

Someone told me the most dangerous gun is one you don't shoot -- so I started shooting (in my wife's opinion, a lot). Whatever you get, make sure you consistently shoot it. Get something you're comfortable shooting, and shoot it a lot. Shoot against a timer or shoot a dueling tree against a friend -- do something to get your heart rate up and shoot under stress. Practice reloading. Practice dry-firing. Worry more about your proficiency than the bullet size.

This is worth exactly what you paid for it.

please note: I in no way believe shooting a friendly match is the same type of stress you will feel in a life or death situation -- I do believe you should do everything you can to condition yourself and be prepared if such a situation arises.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I feel I were in your position I would consider a Smith 627. You get 8 shots of 38/357 in a big heavy revolver that helps absorb recoil. I have both a 625 and a 627PC and for me, the 627 is clearly the better gun.

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    Rifle.

Just kidding. If I had to stage a revolver for HD, I'd go for the biggest, highest capacity version available. 7/8 shots, etc. And I'd load it with 38s. I've seen some great ballistic testing (over at Lucky Gunner) that puts some 38 loads pretty much on par with 357 without a significantly quiet signature. (firing a 357 down a hallway. ouch)

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    I think you also need to take into account who might be using your self defense gun in a crisis situation. I really like glocks and they function 100% reliably in my hands, but when I give it to my son it always malfunctions after just 1 shot. I was really amazed by his ability to induce malfunctions in glocks. I tried several models. By some kind of magic they don't work in his hands. But revolvers just work and in his hands too! So I think revolvers make a lot of sense for a home defense gun. They don't require training to fire. If they are loaded they are idiot proof.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I think you also need to take into account who might be using your self defense gun in a crisis situation. I really like glocks and they function 100% reliably in my hands, but when I give it to my son it always malfunctions after just 1 shot. I was really amazed by his ability to induce malfunctions in glocks. I tried several models. By some kind of magic they don't work in his hands. But revolvers just work and in his hands too! So I think revolvers make a lot of sense for a home defense gun. They don't require training to fire. If they are loaded they are idiot proof.

Id say this is generally true. Glocks and others are really prone to limp-wristing malfunctions.
    Revolvers aren't necessarily easy to shoot well - w/ long, heavy trigger pull - but they are about as close to idiot-proof as any firearm.

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    Id say this is generally true. Glocks and others are really prone to limp-wristing malfunctions.
    Revolvers aren't necessarily easy to shoot well - w/ long, heavy trigger pull - but they are about as close to idiot-proof as any firearm.
    I agree that semi-autos are easier to shoot well, assuming one can actually do that (my son can't). But if one doesn't train, the accuracy will be equally poor with both revolver and semi-auto. My wife for example doesn't want to train. She think she can just grab what ever we have in our biometric safe and it will shoot (its loaded and ready to fire). That may be the case, but maybe not. Judging by my sons experience, she might get off the first shot and then my glock will malfunction. So I am thinking its better to switch to a revolver. This will guarantee 6 to 8 shots depending on the model. The only problem, revolvers are significantly more expensive than glocks.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It's your home. You're not carrying it.....so why use a handgun??? An AR, AK, or shotgun would be better.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    How about all the above?

I have three floors to move between, handguns can be handy. If I have to go outside then a long gun may be more appropriate; shotgun if close and rifle if not, unless it's a critter then a rifle might be the right choice.

Also, it's hard to get an AR with optics out of the nightstand.

Top Bottom