Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Got this email... first confirmed case in Indiana...

View attachment 344859

I got that email just a while ago. So now EHD and CWD in the herd. The herd could take a lot of hits between the two and impact herd numbers significantly. I would remind everyone of something that one of the wildlife biologists said not too long ago. IF you actually SEE dead deer that appear to have been impacted by EHD, (and now presumably CWD), call them out immediately. Rather than simply spread rumors about scores of dead deer that your brother-in-law`s second cousin`s neighbor found...get the professionals out so that they can catalogue and record factual data.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    In this state you have to drop off the head at a random freezer for testing. I euro mount my skulls so that is a no go. Anyone know if Indiana can test just a sample and how I collect that sample? I have never seen anything about that.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

Brief article on how CWD is nothing but scrapie in cervids. Scrapie has been around since sheep were brought to the West Indies and the first Colonies in America.

Most important to the control of a virus or disease is deer herd “turnover”, where deer are replaced every 3-5 years through mortality and recruitment, preventing viruses and diseases from lingering in the herd.

Top Bottom