This one has been stuck in my craw for a while: Confrontation in the supermarket parking lot.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I watched a self-defense video a few years ago, made by some "expert" (I don't know if he really is or not). Let me preface this by saying that I almost always use a shopping cart to take my groceries out to my truck, even if it's just a bag or two.

In the video, he is walking across a parking lot with a shopping cart and one bag in it. He is confronted by I think two individuals, and he picks up his bag and moves away from the cart. I think this is an unsound tactic for two reasons. One, he has just encumbered one of his hands, even if it's his non-dominant hand. Two, he has eliminated the shopping cart as a potential physical barrier between himself and at least one of his possible attackers.

I use a shopping cart nearly always so I can keep my hands relatively free, and to use as a physical barrier. Been doing that for decades. What got me to thinking about it again is that earlier this evening was one of the rare times I didn't use a cart. I had to get a last-minute item for Thanksgiving, and the store was busy, so I skipped the cart.

Which do you think is the better tactic? Using the cart or abandoning the cart during a Supermarket Showdown ;) ?

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I vote for the cart. I usually grab one on my way into the store as well. As far as physical barrier, I would also not hesitate to use it on a car backing out as opposed to my body getting ran over.
    I fear the cars more than people when in a parking lot. I just about got hit three days ago at Sam's club by a very elderly lady driving way too fast for a parking lot.
    Why do people have to race in and out of parking lots anyway?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Uhm... it depends on the specifics of the situation. I don't think you can gameplan so far ahead. A cart is just part of the environment and could hurt or help depending on how things happen.

What if your hypothetical assailant steps out behind you from between two trucks as you pass by? He catches up and you turn to face him. Now the cart is behind you and becomes a barrier to your escape. Maybe you bump in to it as you're backing away and it startles you. As you turn your head to look at the cart the aggressor sees his opening and lands a big shot across your chin sending you to the ground with the cart on top of you. As you try to regain your senses and get out from underneath the cart, this hooligan absconds with your holiday turkey.

Maybe its a barrier. Maybe its an obstacle.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Trying to map out such a specific scenario that one may encounter just as you imagined and practiced it, may be good fodder to trade for honing your SA and skill set in one hand presentations and shot placement. Just sayin.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Maybe it's a barrier. Maybe it's an obstacle.
    I'm with Jackson...the shopping cart is situational and can be either an asset or a liability???
    Depending on the situation, you could use it as a barrier, but don't let it be used to box you in!
    Biggest issue...is being able to keep one's feet moving (in different directions) if necessary!
    No matter what, don't lose your ability to be able to "Get off the 'X'!"

Top Bottom