• ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    intro
    i know what everyone is thinking and grumbling to themselves out there about the rem 770 and how its a cheap, plastic p.o.c. that is not worth the money it costs.. years ago i had agreed with that but purchased one in november, 2009 to form my own opinion. i have a higer quality bolt gun that i feel is "to nice" to go into the woods and get beat around so i wanted on rilfe i would worry about if it got scratched, banged, muddy and abused.

setup
    as the rifle sits, its a stock 770 with a leupold rifleman 3-9x40, qrw rings, and base. i was shooting at exactly 300ft from muzzle to target in the prone off of a bipod.

shooting
    so this past weekend i went to my range and decided i would run some different ammo thru my 770 and see what it likes to eat. shot 3rds x 3 for each kind of ammo to get a general idea of how they did.
    after shooting several kinds of the sub $20/box(UMC 150gr, WIN Super X 150 & 180 gr, Rem PSP 150gr) which shot around 1.5" i got out some Federal GMM 168 BTHP and ran did some groupings. i was pleasently surprised considering it is a lower quality rifle that gets a very bad wrap from everyone (espically those that dont even own the thing).

summary
    so in conclusion, this rifle may cycle like a turd, look ugly and be made sub standard that other models, it can still perform around moa which i am satisfied about. now this is no where near as nice as my 700sps tact will shoot, but that set up was 3 times as much so im not to worried about it.

400300_2969271627737_1140112059_33338558_818500511_n.jpg

^^^ My best of the day, around 7/8 of an inch. i plan to do some more "testing" to see if the flyer in this pic was me and correct it to get some better production

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Aren't they just like the 710's? 700 actions with plastic stocks. Some of the 700's have plastic stocks as well.:dunno:

they are remingtons new and updated version of the 710, which i have heard lots of bad things about in the past.

not a 700 action, if you ever get a chance to check one out at a gun store you will immediately notice the huge difference in quality!! also, the plastic stock has the action press fitted into it (not that i exactly know what that means), but the stock rides the barrel the the whole way

skreuzman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    I have a 770 in .270 Win and agree that it does not feel as nice as the higher priced models, but I bought it for the same reason...to use and not worry about scratching. I have been impressed with the way it shoots so far. I do not hesitate to take it hunting and have confidence that it will do the job. I paid $250 for mine with a cheap 3-9x40 scope. I plan to add a better scope and improve the accuracy even more. I had several 2-3" groupings @ 200 yards the first time I took it to the range. That's good enough for me!

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have learned over the years that it is not wise to tell somebody who can shoot like that that his rifle is a P.O.C.

Good shooting. :rockwoot::yesway:

wouldnt be the first time i had to hear about my junky 770. when i got the leupold scope to put on it, i got some laughs and offers to buy the scope for $250 and the rifle for $1! lol i have heard it all

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    this is the first good word ive ever heard about them, but the proofs in the photo, congrats bud

and i imagine a shooter with better skills than me, a nice lead slead or something, and a load made for this rifle could squeeze even better results out of it. id rank it as a beginner or intro rifle

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    and i imagine a shooter with better skills than me, a nice lead slead or something, and a load made for this rifle could squeeze even better results out of it. id rank it as a beginner or intro rifle

personally i own and never use a lead slead. i figure if im not goin to tote it to the woods i dont want to pratice with it. nice shooting

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If it started and ended with fair weather MOA groups off a bipod there'd be no rub against a 770 nor any of the other budget rifles.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    One of my good friends used to own a 710 in .270Win. Even with a budget scope on that budget rifle, my buddy could still hit the head of a bowling pin at 200 yards. Fairly consistently.

Sure, the thing doesn't cycle as smooth as many more expensive rifles, but darned if those bullets didn't go where he wanted them.

-J-

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    One of my good friends used to own a 710 in .270Win. Even with a budget scope on that budget rifle, my buddy could still hit the head of a bowling pin at 200 yards. Fairly consistently.

Sure, the thing doesn't cycle as smooth as many more expensive rifles, but darned if those bullets didn't go where he wanted them.

-J-

good to know that there are some others out there that are able to effectively use the 770 and it dosent completely deserve the bad rap its gotten

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    good to know that there are some others out there that are able to effectively use the 770 and it dosent completely deserve the bad rap its gotten

From what I've read, the bad rap is generally all associated with the smoothness of cycling, perhaps some feeding issues, and trigger. Not accuracy.

But, the folks that choose to pony up more money for a rifle want rifles with smoother cycling, no feeding issues, and a better (adjustable) trigger.

If you only shoot a rifle every few months and just want one to have one; I'd recommend a budget rifle. Plenty of very serviceable makes/models out there.

If someone wanted to get a rifle for moderate to hard use, I'd probably not recommend a budget rifle.

In short, I really do understand both sides of the argument.

soupy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Elkhart Co.
    I have not handled a 770, but cheap remington rifles shot well for me in the past. Two 788's I had were easy m.o.a. guns. the 78, 223 that lives behind the seat of my truck is a half m.o.a. rifle.

Top Bottom