• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Looked at the Dardas web site. What dies do you use? Just pick-up some RCBS 45acp dies and the sizer is stepped, thinking similar to Lyman X dies. Haven't started loading lead yet, so far not completely sure of the steps needed. I am into the accuracy side of shooting but have a way to go, shooting freehand at 25 yards also.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Nice coup. That gun should shoot 10 shot groups at 50 yards of around 2.5" with the right ammo and from a machine rest. The velocity sweet spot seems to be around 760 fps. for bullseye 1911's. High velocity loads will really batter a Clark long heavy slide. The Bo Mar ribs tend to shear the screws if something like hardball or hotter is used in them regularly.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have settled on my baseline load of 4.0 of Bullseye under a 185gr LSWC real mild recoil and very accurate. I will test a couple other powders but from the groups that load gives I really dont need to.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Looked at the Dardas web site. What dies do you use? Just pick-up some RCBS 45acp dies and the sizer is stepped, thinking similar to Lyman X dies. Haven't started loading lead yet, so far not completely sure of the steps needed. I am into the accuracy side of shooting but have a way to go, shooting freehand at 25 yards also.

I have not received my Dardas bullets yet but they will be here monday. they will be for 50 yard shooting.
    I am using a RCBS sizing die but Hornady for the rest . My Hornady dies don't size the brass as much as I like.
    Not much difference in loading lead except the cost :) You do have to clean your dies more often and adjust the expander and crimp die a little different.

Where do you shoot at?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have settled on my baseline load of 4.0 of Bullseye under a 185gr LSWC real mild recoil and very accurate. I will test a couple other powders but from the groups that load gives I really dont need to.
    That is a classic bullseye load. You can substitute American Select if you want a cleaner burning powder. I also tried Alliant's e3 shotgun powder. It is exceptionally clean burning and you can use charges as light as 3.6 grains.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks I may look into those down the road. I am ready now for some trigger time vs load workup :)

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I have not received my Dardas bullets yet but they will be here monday. they will be for 50 yard shooting.
    I am using a RCBS sizing die but Hornady for the rest . My Hornady dies don't size the brass as much as I like.
    Not much difference in loading lead except the cost :) You do have to clean your dies more often and adjust the expander and crimp die a little different.

Where do you shoot at?

Wilbur Wright in New Castle for now. Just set the RCBS dies up last night. Going to test them out today, LEE dies vs RCBS dies with everything being the same. 4.3gr of Clays, 185gr Precision Delta JHP at 1.185 OAL. Will say I like the way that RCBS dies made the expansion and then the crimp, very clean and smooth.

"My Hornady dies don't size the brass as much as I like."
    Yes, like the RCBS much better, the LEE expansion die just belled the brass at the top and that was it, most times the bullet would have a visible bulge where the it fit in the case.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    lance2682
    Here is pic of my shooting today. The ammo test did not go as planned because I forgot my targets and was lucky someone left an almost unused target for me. My son shot at the target some but he was using a 9mm, I was shooting a 45. The last shots are in the bullseye after correcting and getting in the zone while running out of time before the range closed for the day.

Shot the LEE die ammo first, then RCBS dies next. The RCBS loaded ammo shot a big hole in the target, so I moved my aim point up.
    The RCBS dies from what I could tell were much more consistent, being they were the last 20 shots while adjusting my aim point, more tests are to follow.

th_P1010221.jpg
    ">a href="http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r605/lance2682/?action=view&current=P1010221-1.jpg" target="_blank">
    lance2682

lance2682

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The group in the center looks good.
    I am interested in seeing if there is a practical difference between dies as far as accuracy goes. I have not ever experimented with that.

You need to try some semi wad cutters. You will like the hole they leave :)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The group in the center looks good.
    I am interested in seeing if there is a practical difference between dies as far as accuracy goes. I have not ever experimented with that.

You need to try some semi wad cutters. You will like the hole they leave :)
    I wouldn't waste my time experimenting with different dies to increase accuracy in .45 ACP ammo. You would be better served to try different bullets (the most important factor) and powder charges. I don't think you will find any better bullets than the Nosler or Zero 185 gr. JHP.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The group in the center was the last 5 shot group. Was getting more comfortable with everything. Still trying to find out how gun wants to shoot at 25 yards. On the lookout for 5" barrel 1911 or XD-tac. Have XD service with 4" bbl (have heard they don't like SWCB). Will try experiment again when time permits to change dies over, only the next time I will use seperate targets. HA HA

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Lyman-Pistol-M-Dies
    I wouldn't waste my time experimenting with different dies to increase accuracy in .45 ACP ammo. You would be better served to try different bullets (the most important factor) and powder charges. I don't think you will find any better bullets than the Nosler or Zero 185 gr. JHP.

Not sure I agree, by looking at the expander between the LEE and RCBS dies there is a big difference. The LEE expander just flares the mouth of the case. The RCBS expander makes the shape (diameter) of the bullet then flares the mouth after the case has been opened for the diameter of the bullet. The bullet sets in the case better with this design. Here is a pic of the Lyman M die but the RCBS looks similar. Also I really like the way the RCBS dies make the crimp with the seater die it's much better.

p_749012469_1.jpg

Lyman-Pistol-M-Dies

Top Bottom