Traditional Red Dot VS Prism (Astigmatism issues)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I need to get an optic to put on a 10/22 takedown. I would have liked an LPVO but because the optic mounts to the barrel, I think that option may be out. I have several red dots on other rifles but with my slight astigmatism, I thought I would try something different. Does anyone with astigmatism have any feedback on the Primary Arms SLx prism optics? Are they clearer? Any disadvantages over other red dots? Should I just suck it up and deal with the blurry dot?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Other threads with info:

That optic claims up to 6 inches of eye relief, with optimal of 3.6 inches.

Some have good luck holding zero with a receiver mounted optic. YMMV

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Without my glasses my PA G2 1x has annoying double image blur. Think thicker reticles are worse w astigmatism. Mine is ACSS reticle.

Fine w my glasses on.

Can still shoot a 3 moa dot reflex without my glasses. It blurs some but doesnt really give off a ghost image. Maybe due to less area of illumination.

A small dot blurred or w close ghost image still appears as a dot of sorts, to me.

Def try before you buy.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    A 1x prism would probably be good on a 10/22, depending on how low you can mount it. The PAs have a lot of mount options, the lowest one on a 10/22 pic rail would probably be good.

They don't really have infinite eye relief like a dot. I've found that you do have to run them toward the back. They do have an eyebox, although it's very generous. You can't really stuff the reticle in the bottom corner, barely seeing it, and still get hits like a red dot can. Using one is closer to using a scope than a dot.

The bigger problem is receiver optics on a TD. I've been down that road and it doesn't work out. You're better off just using the barrel mounted irons.

Top Bottom