• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am leaving for Key West tonight and just wondering if I would be ok to carry all the way down there. Didn't know if there were any capacity laws or if you MUST CC in these states :dunno:. Just wondering I don't want my vacation to be ruined by something like that. Thanks guys

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    I know your license if you are licensed in Indiana is good all the way except for South Carolina. But, you should not be going through there from here in Indiana. As far as open carrying in all the states headed that way... I am at a loss. For me, concealed carry would be the safe way to enjoy your vacation. Hope someone can help ya. Have a great time!!!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Handgunlaw.us

• Kentucky is pretty close to Indiana on laws (not sure about OC)
    • Tennessee is pretty close to IN as well (still not sure about OC)
    • Georgia adds bars and churches to the no carry list (still not sure about OC)
    • Florida's list of victim disarmament zones includes colleges/universities and ALL school/college/professional sporting events, and is a CC state.
    You can carry in restaurants all the way down, even if they serve alcohol, but you cannot carry in bars in TN, GA, or FL, or in the bar portion of a restaurant. State parks, national forests, and rest areas are good-to-go.

Key West, eh? Always wanted to go! We'll expect a full AAR when you return!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You may NOT open carry in FL. It is a CCW only state.

TN changed their laws last year and you ARE able to carry into a bar, you just can't consume alcohol.

GA allows bar carry with the owner's permission.

No bar carry in KY.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    You can't carry anywhere that has a "bar area" in KY. Even if you are not sitting in the bar area.

(16) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, no license issued pursuant to this section shall
    authorize any person to carry a concealed firearm into:
    (a) ...
    (e) Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic
    beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the
    establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You can't carry anywhere that has a "bar area" in KY. Even if you are not sitting in the bar area.

You only read the first section of that statute and didn't finish. Again it says:

(16) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, no license issued pursuant to this section shall
    (a) ...

That means, if an establishment is licensed to dispense beer or alcohol, you are not allowed to carry into any portion of the establishment which is primarily devoted to dispensing beer or alcohol. So, no bars, no bar area of Applebee's, Friday's, B-Dub's or the like. It only says "portion". It does not say that you many not carry a concealed firearm into "any establishment licensed to dispense...." There's a difference.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Alabama is a no go and you are in it for a few miles, if you take 24 to 75. Ohio is a no go.

Where do you get this info about Alabama? According to usacarry.com and handgunlaw.us, Alabama most certainly does recognize Indiana's LTCH. One better.... here's the Alabama Attorney General's website with reciprocity info:
    http://www.ago.state.al.us/issue/pistol.htm It also says that our LTCH is accepted.
    You ARE correct about Ohio though. That's one of the reasons I got my Utah CFP.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    You only read the first section of that statute and didn't finish. Again it says:

(a) ...

That means, if an establishment is licensed to dispense beer or alcohol, you are not allowed to carry into any portion of the establishment which is primarily devoted to dispensing beer or alcohol. So, no bars, no bar area of Applebee's, Friday's, B-Dub's or the like. It only says "portion". It does not say that you many not carry a concealed firearm into "any establishment licensed to dispense...." There's a difference.

Ummm, read it again:

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic

You don't get much clearer than "ANY PORTION". You are prohibited from ANY PORTION of an establishment who is licensed to sell alcohol if they have a portion dedicated to alcohol. It does not say you must be in the bar area, they say ANY PORTION. So Applebees is a no-go because they have a bar area.

If it said "WHERE THAT portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose", then you would be right. But it doesn't. It just says you are prohibited from any portion, if there is a portion that is a bar.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Ummm, read it again:

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic

You don't get much clearer than "ANY PORTION". You are prohibited from ANY PORTION of an establishment who is licensed to sell alcohol if they have a portion dedicated to alcohol. It does not say you must be in the bar area, they say ANY PORTION. So Applebees is a no-go because they have a bar area.

If it said "WHERE THAT portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose", then you would be right. But it doesn't. It just says you are prohibited from any portion, if there is a portion that is a bar.

Sorry, but that makes NO sense. So, if a restaurant has a liquor license, but no bar area, you can dine there, but if they have a bar area, than you can't step foot in the restaurant? The "portions" mentioned are the same in the law.
    It is saying that you may not carry into any portion of a restaurant that is primarily devoted to alcohol.

the "which portion" of the second part of that sentence is describing the "any portion" from the first part. If it was as you say, it would read, " Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic
    beverages for consumption on the premises, which has a portion of the

A more clear way to read this would be: "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic
    beverages for consumption on the premises, if that portion of the

Here is a link to a lawyer's page that agrees with what I'm saying:
    Guns in Bars

Here's what it says:

Fourteen states expressly permit a concealed weapons permit holder to carry a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol (Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, Wyoming). However in none of these states can a concealed loaded weapon be brought into a bar. Five of those 14 states expressly preclude carrying a loaded weapon into areas of the restaurant primarily devoted to drinking (i.e. the bar) (Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi and Wyoming). Six other states prohibit carrying guns in establishments that derive less than 50% of their total annual food and beverage sales from prepared meals (Georgia, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota Texas and Kansas (30%). Washington prohibits guns in 21 and up establishments. Oklahoma and Michigan prohibit carrying guns if the primary purpose of the establishment is drinking.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    ... Also if you google this subject, in all of the forums I found people agreed with my position, that you can't carry a loaded firearm into a bar or bar area of a restaurant, but could carry into the dining room of said restaurant.

Top Bottom