• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Quick question of the day related to the TSA.
    I have a art work, about 8" by 10", that I want to take with me in the plane.
    It's framed in a picture frame glass.
    Here is my problem, should I put it in my checked bags or in my carry-on bag? :dunno:
    In my checked bags it might break (even if I try to protect it), the glass that is.And in my carry-on im worried that the TSA wont let me take a thin piece of glass inside the plane because it could easily be broken and used as a sharp weapon. :rolleyes:
    Not that I wouldn't have a bunch of better "TSA approved" weapons with me anyway.:rolleyes:

This piece of art has a great value, I wouldn't have it taken away from me by the evil TSA because I cant take it in the plane.
    And obviously I dont want it dammaged in my checked bags either, I know how those are handled and something made of glass has no chance. :xmad:

What would you do?
    Should I take it in my carry-on or try to protect it the best I can (maybe cardboard and bubble wrap? :dunno:) and transport it in my checked bag?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    UPS /DHL and insure the holy hell out of it. That way, if they break it, they're liable for it and pay you lots of money. Alternatively, take it out of the frame, roll it up in a thick cardboard tube, and take it with you. Get a TSA ok on it before you go to the gate the day of your flight. And I'd also consider talking to the airline about them paying for things they damage. Take LOTS of pictures of it in the frame, out of the frame, and going into and coming out of the shipping tube.

Oh, and if you're so inclined, pray really hard.

Blessings,
    Bill

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I carried a bunch of framed pictures back from China a year ago. No problem at the Chinese end. Coming through Newark the Blue Shirts didn't even ask what I had or order me to open the case.

However...since the A in TSA seems to stand for 'arbitrary', I wouldn't bet that your experience will be the same.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    As long as the value makes it worth it, a Pelican or other hard case would survive the 'Samsonite Gorillas' at the airport.

I coach a school Lego robotics team and we have taken assembled Lego models in the padded Pelican cases around the world with no damage or disassembly in transit.

--- NavyVet

Top Bottom