• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I saw something in another thread about tuning an extractor to throw consistently. Being a revolver guy for many years, I'm not familiar with how to do this.

My XD seems to throw brass all over the place. So, how do you go about the tuning process?

Thanks.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The simple answer is: If the brass is being thrown away from you and not affecting your vision on followup shots, you're good to go.

Most of the pistols that dribble spent brass into a nice little pile next to you are potentially fatal failures in a firefight. You want strong extraction.

That being said, there is always a way to tune things. But, change your brass, load, bullet weight, you'll change the ejection area.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I saw something in another thread about tuning an extractor to throw consistently. Being a revolver guy for many years, I'm not familiar with how to do this.

My XD seems to throw brass all over the place. So, how do you go about the tuning process?

Thanks.
    Reload.

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    My former Mini-14 Ranch Rifle ejected so vigorously that my fellow shooters deemed them secondary projectiles! I agree with Manatee about "overadjusting" ejection, it can create failures.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My AR use to toss brass all over till after the first few hundred rounds then it started making a nice little pile of brass. I would not be to worried about the brass unless it is hitting you between the eyes :n00b: Yeah I have had that happen before. I can't seem to duck fast enough.

The most fun is tossing your brass down the shorts of the guy next to you :yesway: Plumbers crack, not a good thing at the range!

Top Bottom