• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have never hunted turkeys. There are a half dozen hanging out regularly beyond my garden. If, by chance, I were to take one of these, what is the best method of dressing them out?

BTW - Yes, I am licensed and familiar with check stations.

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    thought this thread was going to be about Stove Top.

anyway....here you go, from my longbeard assassination files....

of course, all is post check-in.

remove the beard, leg at the knee (if you want to keep the spurs), and fan. the beard is pretty easy to get out, just make sure you save the skin surrounding it, so it dosent fall apart. wrap in paper towel. the legs, cut at the knee, freeze until you are ready to remove the spur. coping saw on both sides....i can get more in depth, if you want...let me know.

for the fan, cut around the sides, and up the back under the skin. go up about 6-8" to make sure you get the whole thing...try to keep all the feathers attached to the skin- this will make mounting easier.

now the yummy part!

once the beard is off (this is of course, assuming you have harvested a tom. if not, ignore the 'beard and spurs' references! :):), lay the majestic creature on its back. with a very shallow cut and a sharp blade, make a 3-4 inch cut where the beard was. then, simply pull apart until the feathers and skin are off as much as you can. this will expose the breast meat. cut down each side of the breastbone. it's exactly the same as carving a thanksgiving-type turkey, only uncooked, and you want to try to keep the breast whole.

ziploc, and freeze.

i have not had luck with the leg/thigh meat....the wild turkey does too much walking on too lean a diet- the only thing you *might* do with it, is crock pot. that's some tough meat....and not really good eating.

i hope this helps you, if you'd like me to clarify, please feel free to ask....

....or invite me along, i'd be more than happy to show you in person! :D

most of all, enjoy the hunt, share it with a kid, and treat the bird with reverence and respect.

-Adam

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    thought this thread was going to be about Stove Top.

Dressing, undressing... :dunno:

turkey_bikini.jpg

Hadda be done.

Top Bottom