• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I saw this article and it saddened me. I would hope that my wife would do something other than call 911 if she drove her Jeep into the water.

I think this is a major facepalm moment. Not that the women couldn't get out of the car - I understand things can be very scary, confusing and happen fast in situations like this. I also understand that auto glass is hard to break. I would just hope that my wife would spend her last moments trying to get herself out of this thing and not rely on 911 when she is obviously seconds away from death.

Maine hikers drive to ocean deaths after being rescued | Fox News

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A) That is very sad.
    B) Talk about seriously unprepared. Go hiking in the rain/fog, get lost, and have to be rescued. THEN drive the wrong way and manage to drive down a boat ramp fast enough to "launch" yourself into the lake and sink. THEN not find a way out? There are 5 doors on a minivan. Surely one would open.....
    C) Anyone see "Final Destination"?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    There is more at play with this IMO. While it is sad this sounds like a prime example of a couple of possible libtard yuppies that decided to go out in the sticks. They sound as if they were totally clueless to the real world. Organic farmers?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    When I was in the USMC we did this thing during swim qual where they put you in this chair, strap you in, then turn you upside down and dump you in the pool. You have to unstrap yourself upside down and swim out. It was good training for surviving a crash in a chopper or LVT. I hear stories like this it reminds of that training. But you still need to have the whereabouts to either roll the window down before the car fills up or have a breaker tool handy. I guess a lot of people just panic. You can relate this to training with a weapon also. The more thoroughly you train the less likely you are to panic. You always fall back on your training.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I always harp on my wife that if things go bad to get out/away first when it comes to situations like that. Even with power windows your car won't sink imedietly or short out the electrical so you ran roll them down if you are on your game. Other issue people have is the car is to far in the water while they are trying to open the door and the pressure is to great on the outside, have to wait for the cargo fill with water so the pressure equalizes but if you have kids or are prone to panicking the that's when a spring loaded punch or class breaker comes into play.

the big issue is people's fear of water...

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    And the word tragedy only applies because it was an inherent character flaw that lead to their demise.

This is mind-blowing. Something horrible was going to happen regardless of where or when with a mindset and profound lack of preparedness such as that. If not the hike in which they got lost, if not the wrong turn and thus the plunge into water and the inability to roll down a window, then something else would have happened and these two would still have wound up in much the same state.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    In reality who in their right mind would even consider dialing 911 in a situation like they were in? That fact alone should tell anyone a whole lot about the type of people that died.

Also worth noting just about any motivated person can break out a car window without any type of tool. But it will require will power and determination...something quite obviously lacking on these dead women's part.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Whenever I read a news report like that, sometimes I think I'd know what to do if I were caught in that situation. But who knows? Sometimes people panic, and by the time they recover, they're out of time. I'm guessing that's what happened. Let's be humane and refrain from characterizing the victims ("libtards" for example), because we just don't know anything about them, except that one was pregnant. May all rest in peace.

I've heard of drills similar to the one Brian describes from former military people. One guy was strapped in the pilot's seat on a decommissioned helicopter, and the whole thing was dunked upside down in a pool. He said the trick is to focus on one task at a time. If you think about everything you need to do in the exercise, you'll be so overwhelmed that you'll just give up. (I am guessing there were many requirements in the exercise other than get out of the helicopter.)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Whenever I read a news report like that, sometimes I think I'd know what to do if I were caught in that situation. But who knows? Sometimes people panic, and by the time they recover, they're out of time. I'm guessing that's what happened. Let's be humane and refrain from characterizing the victims ("libtards" for example), because we just don't know anything about them, except that one was pregnant. May all rest in peace.

I've heard of drills similar to the one Brian describes from former military people. One guy was strapped in the pilot's seat on a decommissioned helicopter, and the whole thing was dunked upside down in a pool. He said the trick is to focus on one task at a time. If you think about everything you need to do in the exercise, you'll be so overwhelmed that you'll just give up. (I am guessing there were many requirements in the exercise other than get out of the helicopter.)
    When I was a kid we lived in Davisville, RI and often went to the indoor pool at Quonset Point Naval Air Station. At the deep end of their pool they had a huge metal structure with a cockpit-like container on it. Pilot trainees would be strapped in and shot down the incline to the pool (about 50 feet or so). They'd crash into the water and be suspended upside down about 10 feet under. They had to get unstrapped from their seat and make their way back to the surface, after having "crash landed" in the water. Always wanted to do that myself, but it was pilots only.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Am I a bad person for feeling more sad about the helpless dog (that would've escaped, instinctively, had it had a way out) vs the women that panicked and didn't try to escape?

Regardless.... very sad story.

Cliff notes: I love my dogs. :patriot:

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Stupid is stupid
    Why the LLEH did she drive into the water ? STUPID ? I say yes screwem

Poor dog !

:stretcher:, O wait never mind

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Stupid is stupid
    Why the LLEH did she drive into the water ? STUPID ? I say yes screwem

Poor dog !

:stretcher:, O wait never mind

They drove into the water because that is a common problem with boat ramps/piers. Bigger places try to mark them better. This place may not have.
    When you drive down the road after dark (this was 9pm), your headlights show up and look like a car coming from the opposite direction. The water is dark and looks like the ground.

There probably was a warning sign. They may have missed it, because people don't pay attention.
    They (everyone) should know how to exit a car that went into the water. They didn't.
    Yes, I feel sorry for the dog.

Top Bottom