• What would you do?

• Total voters

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I finally received my upper from Surplus Ammo today. It was a free upper that came with the purchase of a Black Hole Weaponry barrel. The specs looked good and the overall price was right so I bit. Unfortunately, the upper doesn't fit my RRA lower. The colors match and everything looks right but the flange for the rear take down pin doesn't have the right shape and causes it to get hung up on the lower receiver. It looks like it could easily be fixed with a little file work but before I go that far, I am wondering if it is something I should return? It took me nearly 4 weeks to get it and honestly I don't want to wait that long or longer to get it back.

Should I just take a file to it and make it work or return it? I don't plan on keeping it black so the loss of the the anodized coating doesn't bother me. What say you?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If it was really just a little out of spec I'd slowly file it so I got a nice snug fit. Work slowly because you can always take more off but you van never put it back on. :twocents:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    You could sell it and get a different upper. If you send it back for an exchange, the one they send will have the same issue. Aero Precison uppers (Surplus Ammo uppers), are all like that. They fit some receivers and don't fit others due to the rear lug hitting the rear of the inside of the rounded milled out portion of the lower. I have a couple of them and they seem to fit well on my M&P lower, Palmetto State lowers, LMT lower, and one of my Spikes Tactical lowers (high shelf). They don't fit my RRA and my other Spikes lower (low shelf).

Recently I placed the upper on my Spikes lower after firing about 500 rounds through the lower and it now seems to fit. Perhaps you could force it a bit and "Break it in".

solution_zero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indy
    RRA makes their lowers tight. The fit between a RRA upper and lower has no play.
    LAR tends to make theirs pretty tight fitting as well.

Filing it will remove the Hardcoat Anodizing, leaving bare 7075 aluminum. I'd sell it, and buy another upper. Fine fitting steel parts with a file or stone is one thing, aluminum is another. JMHO.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    100   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I vote another option on the poll as others have said. You could sell it and buy another one. This also might take more time then you'd like it to.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    RRA makes their lowers tight. The fit between a RRA upper and lower has no play.
    LAR tends to make theirs pretty tight fitting as well.

Filing it will remove the Hardcoat Anodizing, leaving bare 7075 aluminum. I'd sell it, and buy another upper. Fine fitting steel parts with a file or stone is one thing, aluminum is another. JMHO.

Not a wear area= NBD.

Could Cerakote if OCD.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I don't even know if I would file it. Might lightly sand it just to remove the finish. I've had sever RRA uppers that were super tight at first when mating to the lower.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Find specs. Get caliper. Take measurements. Fix the one that's wrong. Most likely, that will be the upper. Looks like the spec for the width in the front & rear of the lower is 0.500 +0.000/-0.004. Removing hard anodize from the sides of the lug on the upper is no thing; it just sits there. Might want to coat it with something, just watch the dimension.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Thank you for all of the input!

After investigating the issue longer than I probably should have, I ended up taking a piece of 1000 grit sand paper and an old dried up sponge (to give it a little backing but not to firm) to the rear lug. I took off enough to give the rear lug a slight curvature that matched the profile of the lower and got it to the point where it finally fit with a slight amount of force. The upper is still stripped and when mated to the lower, I am not able to pull them apart without the assistance of a wooden spoon. I'm sure all will be puppies and rainbows once I have the upper completed!

Again, thank you for the input. I wish I had an easier way to upload pictures but I just haven't taken the time to create a account to host the photos. I am beginning to think I need to get this done?

Top Bottom