Value of a nickel Smith and Wesson 586-no dash.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I'm looking into trading for a nickel Smith and Wesson 586-no dash. I'm having a hard time finding out the value of this.
    I found one in the forum that sold for 550, but it didn't say if it had a dash or not. So I put the price at that.
    The guy tells me it's worth 900 and as far as I know he maybe right. I'm not a Smith expert to say the least and there isn't that many of these being sold for me to research.
    Can you Smith guys give me a value of this? I have to be able to sell this at a realistic fair price.
    On a side note I think the gun is beautiful. It has a nice classic look. It would look nice next to my Python.

Here is the pictures he's send me.

Last edited:

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    He's correct in that the 586 is less commonly seen for sale than the 686, 66, or 19. Nickel finish is also less common. Looks like it's listed on Armslist for $850 and includes 70 rounds of unnamed ammunition.

I'd say $900 is too high, and $550 would be robbing him blind. I'd say $750 would be a great deal, $800 fair, $850 okay, and $900 a big high.

There will always be a market for a nice .357 Smith, but a lot of people lately are asking at least $100 more than people are willing to pay for them. Then again, I watch selling prices of the Model 19s and 66s a lot more than I do the L frame Magnums. If anyone thinks I'm out of line, please offer a rebuttal.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You are not out of line. I like deals. I would not pay over $650 for a 586 in blue.

I would pay less for nickel just because I don't like it. Doesn't matter if it is worth more on paper, most people prefer blue so the demand is higher for blued versions.

I would jump at $550, but I wouldn't say you are robbing someone blind. They were around $300 new back when I bought mine. I sold mine:( for $275 and it was practically new in box.

Over $700 is getting high in my opinion.

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    Those were the weapons issued to us on IPD when I was hired. They then went to a 686 and those were the last revolvers. Wish I had held onto mine :(
    The fun part about training with those was the 5 cylinders of reload ammo and one round of duty ammo which would :biggun: right out in a ball of flame !

Top Bottom