• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    You can’t go wrong with a Glock 17, 47, or 19 from a reliability, simplicity, or aftermarket support standpoint. They are also very modestly priced for what you are getting. I will buck the general consensus here and advise you to stay away from any of Sig’s striker fired pistols (P320, P365). I’ve personally seen and experienced too many issues to recommend them. I’ve also had a poor experience with their customer support the only time I’ve used it. Plus mags for them are outrageously expensive.

Tradesylver

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2024
    Brown County
    You can’t go wrong with a Glock 17, 47, or 19 from a reliability, simplicity, or aftermarket support standpoint. They are also very modestly priced for what you are getting. I will buck the general consensus here and advise you to stay away from any of Sig’s striker fired pistols (P320, P365). I’ve personally seen and experienced too many issues to recommend them. I’ve also had a poor experience with their customer support the only time I’ve used it. Plus mags for them are outrageously expensive.
    I picked up a used Glock 23 (40 cal) drop a new Lone Wolf 9mm barrel and some aftermarket mags. Ran two boxes of 9mm at some steel everything worked as it should. If you find a G23 for sale you can add an aftermarket 9mm barrel reasonable and have a nice setup. Can't go wrong with a Glock.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well Glocks are striker fired and the original issue with the P320 was corrected. An engineer worked with a P365 through 8,000 rounds and did not have any issues but I get it.

The reason I often tell a new gun owner to get an SA/DA or a revolver is the long pull for the inexperienced under stress. Too light of a trigger and bad finger control is a bad mix.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    I'm curious about the issues you've experienced with the P365. I haven't heard of any parallels with the P365 compared to the P320. Unless the issues you're talking about are the very early run issues. And like Hoosier8 said above, that drop safety issue with the P320 was corrected. I won't speak on the firing out of battery issue, because I'm not sure what to think about that. But I'm still curious about your P365 issues.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I'm curious about the issues you've experienced with the P365. I haven't heard of any parallels with the P365 compared to the P320. Unless the issues you're talking about are the very early run issues. And like Hoosier8 said above, that drop safety issue with the P320 was corrected. I won't speak on the firing out of battery issue, because I'm not sure what to think about that. But I'm still curious about your P365 issues.
    The most common issues I’ve seen with the P365 are back plates sliding down causing failures to go into battery, factory front sight posts breaking off, unusual sensitivity to dirty chambers, and rust issues with magazines. In addition, lack of a trigger safety makes it all-around more likely to ND than other striker designs which incorporate one.

It’s also difficult to ignore the overarching issue of Sig prematurely releasing new designs and using their paying customers to beta test them, as they did with the P320 and P365.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    What would you honestly recommend I’m not a small guy (5’11 260) and I have experience shooting 9mm, .380, .357, .45, .223 but I’m having trouble like choosing a first gun I want something reliable that isn’t gonna break the bank this will be the first pistol I will conceal carry. Was thinking about hitting up a gun show so I have more variety but I just wanna get a general idea maybe even throw out what you guys carry
    You should go to the gun shop and grope everything in the case.

You may find that you like smaller guns like Sig P365 or Glock 43X.

Or you may enjoy a more compact gun like a Sig P320, CZ P-10, or Glock 19.

Or you may pick up that 1911, and want to be on the side of the two World War championship team.

Or you might pick up a nice revolver and find your calling.

Stengun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2024
    Horseheads
    I always recommend 22 lr pistols

I like Rugers mk 2 and 3’s but any variety gives you lots of expensive trigger time to practice the fundamentals of grip sights and trigger squeeze

Good luck

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    What would you honestly recommend I’m not a small guy (5’11 260) and I have experience shooting 9mm, .380, .357, .45, .223 but I’m having trouble like choosing a first gun I want something reliable that isn’t gonna break the bank this will be the first pistol I will conceal carry. Was thinking about hitting up a gun show so I have more variety but I just wanna get a general idea maybe even throw out what you guys carry
    For a first handgun, keep it simple! Shoot a variety of handguns, pistols, revolvers, in a variety of calibers (those mentioned above) and find which handgun is most comfortable and points and shoots most naturally for you.
    Keep in mind that revolvers have a variety of grips available to them to fit different sized hands, and modern pistols have variable grips to help fit a variety of hands.
    Also, a first pistol is just that, a first pistol...that will change over time as you gain experience!

Stengun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2024
    Horseheads
    22lr pistol will allow you to quickly learn to shoot well with cheaper ammo . Build muscle memory for trigger control, sight alignment.

Some gill size pistol have 22lr conversions 1911, glocks that give you a lot of bang for the buck on the same lower of you major caliber.

Hope it helps

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    22lr pistol will allow you to quickly learn to shoot well with cheaper ammo . Build muscle memory for trigger control, sight alignment.

Some gill size pistol have 22lr conversions 1911, glocks that give you a lot of bang for the buck on the same lower of you major caliber.

Hope it helps
    How big is a gill? ……… :lmfao:

^^purple^^^

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`m 6'4", and depending on which week, I`m anywhere between 245 to 265 lbs. You`ll get lots of advice on what`s "best" for you, but ultimately, you have to make that determination. I can tell you what I prefer. Cold weather, I carry a Glock 30, which is a compact .45 acp. Warm weather, I carry a Glock 42, which is the Glock 380. All things being equal, I much prefer to have a .45 with a spare magazine with me. I console myself in warm weather with the thought that the .380 is better than nothing at all, but I still always carry a spare magazine. Congratulations on making the difficult decision to carry.

Top Bottom