• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Graphic Warning! And background music is kind of crappy.
    [video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cfd_1397283020[/video]
    Can't get it to embed right.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I see a lot of really bad days at the range in there.

I wonder what the deal is with all the exploding revolvers? Reloaded ammo?

WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    How common is this kind of thing? I'm always afraid that something like this will happen, is it usually only with reloaded ammo? Common in factory loads any?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If the Space Shuttle went up like a bottle rocket, not once but twice, do you think your 2-3 pounds of steal, or plastic junk, can fail?

For which was more money spent, the Space Shuttle or your pistol?

Every time I pull the trigger, I anticipate the weapon failing.

wlr2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If the Space Shuttle went up like a bottle rocket, not once but twice, do you think your 2-3 pounds of steal, or plastic junk, can fail?

For which was more money spent, the Space Shuttle or your pistol?

Every time I pull the trigger, I anticipate the weapon failing.

Not to be a nerd or a stickler, but both shuttles (Challenger and Columbia) broke apart because of extreme aerodynamic forces. The deflagration of the liquid oxygen and hydrogen for the Challenger, and the extreme yaw induced by the burn through in the left wing for the Columbia.
    These were situations that no shuttle was built or designed for so using them as a comparison to an exploding firearm is a bit off. The firearm was designed to function with high stress loads in confined spaces.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Challenger- burned O-ring. Couple bucks worth.

Columbia- Ice chunks.

Simple stuff that had catastrophic consequences.

wlr2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    True, the o-ring failure is what lead to the loss of the Challenger, but it was political pressure and human hubris that set in motion the tragedy. And it was a chunk of insulation foam from the external tank that punched a hole in the leading edge of the left wing.

I could go into extreme detail on both accidents, but that was not the purpose of my first comment. It was to show that the comparison of an exploding gun and the loss of both shuttles was a poor choice to begin with.

If you want to use the excuse of simple issue leading to a failure, then we could argue the fact that Chernobyl can also be compared to an exploding hand gun.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    My point being, simple things like high primers in M 1s can cause the rifle to fire out of battery.

Bullet set back in hot loaded 9mm can cause exceptionally high pressures.

Miss-reading a powder type will ruin your day.

Simple mistakes can cause big issues. (Like fingers leaking red stuff )

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    How common is this kind of thing? I'm always afraid that something like this will happen, is it usually only with reloaded ammo? Common in factory loads any?

It can happen with any ammo. If someone, factory or otherwise, fails to put powder in the cartridge, then this can lead to a squib. Bullet moves just far enough into the barrel that it gets stuck. You rack another round in and shoot it off with the barrel blocked by the squib. Bad day. Always pay close attention to whats going on.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Had it happen in a Taurus 85 many years ago shooting reloads I bought at a gun show. It wasn't a squib round but an over charged one. Blew 2 holes out of the cylinder and bent the top strap like a camels back.Guy sold at all the shows back in the day and sold a lot of ammo. Luckily,I wasn't hurt and Taurus replaced the gun. I've never shot a reload since. Not to say I wouldn't shoot reloads,I just wouldn't shoot someone else's.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    It can happen with any ammo. If someone, factory or otherwise, fails to put powder in the cartridge, then this can lead to a squib. Bullet moves just far enough into the barrel that it gets stuck. You rack another round in and shoot it off with the barrel blocked by the squib. Bad day. Always pay close attention to whats going on.
    This! Your gun is telling you what it's doing. Just make sure you listen to her! You can still hear/feel a squib. It's recognizing what happened and what you do next that'll save your gun and your hand!

tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    the home-grown gunsmiths have been known to under-bore barrels and over-bore the chamber, which don't match up, and load 'em and fire them......guarantee results will be unsatisfactory..........some really scary film on the net...

Top Bottom