• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    What about it? There is only 1 company in america that makes any scopes here, and that is the Vortex AMG series.

A lot of comoanys manufacture parts over seas, and ammemble in america. 1 company calls that "made in America" everyone else call that "made in ???"

The only real difference is Leupold employees 500sh employees in Oregon, Voryex employees 698 in Wisconsin.

People are always understandably resistant to see what is out there besides what they have always used. When they do, they see that the grass really is greener, but making that first jump is hard, especially when it's a company your father probably swore by. Fact is, over time companies change, and Leupold is not the same company it was in the 80's.

Jim, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to spend some time on the phone with you if you decide to see what else is out there. If not I completely understand, and wish you happy shooting.

thanks and yes you can call or we can go shooting anytime. All should know that receive no royalties from any optic maker. I did do some work for Simmons but it was short lived. You might guess why. Anyway, yes there is truth in your words about learning new stuff and that’s the tuff part, I do not have another 50 years to work with a new product that would replace the dependable history That has worked for me. Opinionated? Yes. But the OP asked opinions and that’s mine. I am in love with no corporate BOD and nothing is everything to everyone but I have to stay with what I know. Lord knows I have wasted a fortune trying out products that did not make the cut. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and let’s sling lead more in 2020!

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Pretty solid scope for the money. The zero stop shims add a nice feature to this optic. My buddy has one on his tikka ctr in a KRG bravo stock. Usually has no problem getting hits out to distance. I have the original Vortex HD razor 5-20. Im using basically the same setup as him. Tikka CTR 6.5 in KRG xray stock. You can tell the original HD razor has better glass. Does that matter? Im not sure. The added 20 magnification helps give you a more clear picture on 16x. Keep in mind most people shoot as distance with around 16x zoom. When the 16x zoom is not on the far end of the magnification it CAN have better clarity. For example comparing a 4-16 vs a 5-25, the 5-25 will not be at its max magnification giving you a clearer 16x picture. Hope this makes sense. Not sure how far you want to shoot but if you want to play out to 1000 i would definitely want as much zoom as i could afford.

host an image

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    As usual, i read your first post then responded. After reading other posts, i agree with others. Try to get the 6-24 if this is truly a long range gun. I personally like the MRAD because everyone i shoot long range with using MIL. Its a real pain when your one buddy comes to shoot long range for the first time. Has no dope, and you have to speak a different language than everyone else.

Dmac22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    COLUMBUS
    I think those pst close outs are a great option for the price. I don’t think there is anything else close other than the Nikon FX1000 closeouts that are one there too. Vortex can have some shoddy QC but the warranty will take care of it. If I was going to war would I choose a non top tier Vortex... absolutely not. But for sport for the money... absolutely. Take a hard look at the Nikons too. I think they are in the mid 300s right now.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I think those pst close outs are a great option for the price. I don’t think there is anything else close other than the Nikon FX1000 closeouts that are one there too. Vortex can have some shoddy QC but the warranty will take care of it. If I was going to war would I choose a non top tier Vortex... absolutely not. But for sport for the money... absolutely. Take a hard look at the Nikons too. I think they are in the mid 300s right now.

I get what you are saying. I was looking hard at the Nikon FX1000 because of their history and quality of glass.

I ended up going a different direction after it was pointed out to me by a fellow INGO member that Nikon was getting out of the scope market. :ingo:

Warranty doesn't mean poop if they aren't making scopes anymore. :twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    EckFrank
    Top Bottom