• ...and so much more!
  • XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I am wanting to start piecing together an AR. I want to keep it 5.56/.223 since i can alway throw another upper together. I'm thinking something with a 16" barrel. Not going for a top of the line rifle just something that shoots every time on a decent budget. Are there any good links out there so i can start looking at what i need to buy for this thing? Any help would be appreciated.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Well, Brownells will have a lot of the pieces. I would start there and/or midway unless you want something specific. a while ago Loki weapon systems was selling billeted receivers for $400 which is a steal for both of them together. I also like Larue parts but they are a little more expensive.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Are you wanting to build the lower yourself ? Or just wanting to buy a complete lower and a complete upper and put them together?

I'd kinda like to build a lower myself but of course buying an upper and a lower and putting them together would be easier! :D

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    There more you do yourself, the cheaper it is...unless you have to buy the tools. Really depends how much you wanna put into it. These days I see M&P carbines around for $650 to $700. can you beat that price with your build? Or is it just the fun of the build that you are looking for?

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I'd kinda like to build a lower myself but of course buying an upper and a lower and putting them together would be easier! :D

I was just recently debating this myself. I went with building my own lower. My reasoning is I bought my first AR and im wanting to build this one just so I can get the experience and to be able to say I built it myself.

what I got for my build:
    RRA stripped lower
    RRA lower parts kit with 2 stage trigger (ordered but not here yet)
    Spikes milspec buffer assembly

I just need to order my Magpul CTR stock and put it all together.

Im not sure if I'm going to buy my upper complete or build it aswell. But thats after I save up and send off to SBR it. :D

Travis Daniel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    I would recommend possibly just buying the complete upper together, You might save a little money by buying everything seperate and putting it together yourself, but its not worth the hassle in my opinion to do when you onlhy save 20-50 by doing it. good luck

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Last edited:

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    I often brag to my shooting buds about "building" my two AR's, but I really didn't "build" them. The "lowers", which I bought for $120 at the 1500 a couple years ago were stripped. I did a lot of research, went to M&A parts, inc. and purchased their "kit". A "kit" includes everything needed minus the stripped lower..., which includes a complete upper. Complete uppers are an important concept to keep in mind because of head space. You screw that up (by trying to do it yourself) then the thing can blow up in your face. BTW, if you post a question on head space and you will get a hundred responses from a hundred different people. It's a confusing concept and only experienced gun-smiths really understand it. IMHO, Don't screw around with head space issues..., leave it to the proffesionals, buy your upper!

Good luck in your build.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    From what I read on AR15.com head space issues on an AR type rifle are almost nonexistent.
    Has to do with the barrel extension being attached to the barrel and that is where headspace is set. at the barrel manufacturer.
    I might be talking out my butt, but that is the way I understood it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Check some of your local shops, My local shop were I live has pretty decent prices on lowers an uppers, as well as parts kits, and has some of it in stock also. Plus no shipping charges. Just a thought

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I may just build the lower and buy an upper. Not real sure yet. This will be a couple months down the road, maybe more if I find a house to buy sooner than I am expecting.

Top Bottom