• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Nice! Way to go. Nothing like loving the gun you bought. I hate being dissapointed in my firearms and having to trade them away. After having to do this 3 times I now research and try to find one to fire before I make a purchase...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    darend505, may I recommend stopping in at Bradis and asking for Mark (shooter521). He will show you more handguns than you could imagine, and be completely honest as to what fits you best and not what the dealer wants to sell.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Stopped in at McGalliard Guns n More the other day. Bought a case for my .22 revolver, and ended up trading the shotgun I bought at the gun show for a Stevens .22 so my dad will have something to shoot when we finally get a chance to go shooting!

I tried out a couple of guns, including a really nice 38 stainless Tauras, a few police trade ins. The .38 felt really good!

Have a lot to think about. I am heading to Indy this weekend, might have to check out Brandis!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I advise new shooters to look at both Glocks and Smith & Wesson M&P models (not Sigma or any other S&W semi-auto!)
    I think it is important not to introduce personal bias in giving gun recommendations. Although I might personally agree that Sigmas are not one I would recommend, I completely disagree regarding the third generation S&W semi autos. The important thing when looking for a first handgun is to try as many as you can. Keep track of the features you like and those you dislike. Do research, ask questions, be a sponge. But try not to get caught up in other folks' likes and dislikes. They may very well be different than yours.

tlkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    New Haven
    A wheel gun can't be beat for a first handgun. A semiauto takes some training to clear in case of a misfire. With a revolver you just pull the trigger again.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Thank you all for the advice! I will be taking a class, as I want to learn as much as I can to make a more educated decision. I have taken gun and hunter safety courses in the past, but have yet to take one for handguns. I will have to remedy that very soon!
    Do the Utah or Florida CC class and get your second permit as well...I did. It is just basically a firearms safety class, but better than nothing and you will be able to carry in more states that way.:yesway:

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Training!!

For my opinion, FWIW, I suggest you find a good used S&W or Ruger revolver. Look for .357 or .38. You can always shoot .38 in the .357. Almost all of ours have been bought as used. Like a car, I like someone else to take the hickey on the initial cost ;-).

You can also find the above for the $300 range, some can even be bought new. Find a person you can trust to help you pick out a good used gun.

Save up the for the 1911! They are a bit more pricey and more expensive to shoot. For learning it is hard to beat a .22 revolver. They are also the cheapest to shoot. There are several fine ones out there but I like the Colt ($pendy) and the Ruger (accurate and trustworthy).

Top Bottom