• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So a month or two ago a survey crew apparently came through our church property and marked a stake near the corner of our driveway at the road, and another smack dab in the middle of our yard about 40% of the way back into our property. The stake by the road is nowhere near the corner of our property, by like 100'. Any idea what is up with that? And there is a corresponding marker pin driven into the ground by the 4' stake spray painted orange with orange ribbon tied to it. Its not directly in line with the street stake, unless maybe its on a magnetic heading. :scratch:

And there is nothing going on in our immediate vicinity. There is a new neighborhood going in a half mile away on the next road over. And there are other survey markers along streets North and south of us. But looking around I dont see any other markers in anyone else's yards.

Any ideas what they are up to? The pin dropped in the middle of one of our greenspaces is what puzzles me most. Its not like its on a boundary, a corner marker, etc. It just seems like its in the middle of nowhere.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I believe they are called reference markers. They are not in line with the property lines by purpose. The surveyors somehow use them to audit their actual property lines. They did the same thing when the surveyed our woods, pretty much as you describe.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If your property is a odd shape,it may be a traverse mark.
    Good point. On that side of the property, the neighbor's property doesn’t go all the way back to the tree line. We own the back half of that lot. It’s like the original owners sold the front half of that lot to somebody who wanted to build but didn’t want the full depth.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had my property surveyed last year. I think they all use GPS now to locate everything. The only problem is (at least the unit my guy was using) the units have a hard time receiving satellite signals through a lot of tree canopy—especially pine/cedar trees in the winter time (like what happened at one of my corners). They can pick somewhat arbitrary points offset from the point they’re trying to find and then triangulate from them to the point they’re seeking. In my case, the one corner where they had to do that they placed temporary offset markers until they found the actual property corner and then removed the offset markers.

One of my other corners is actually in the middle of the county road on which I live. They drove a pin into the pavement to mark it. But he also set a reference pin along my property line about 20 feet from the corner. He said he did that so it would be easier to find the corner pin in the future, assuming the county ever repaves my road.

I’m not sure any of that applies in your case though.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I had my property surveyed last year. I think they all use GPS now to locate everything. The only problem is (at least the unit my guy was using) the units have a hard time receiving satellite signals through a lot of tree canopy—especially pine/cedar trees in the winter time (like what happened at one of my corners). They can pick somewhat arbitrary points offset from the point they’re trying to find and then triangulate from them to the point they’re seeking. In my case, the one corner where they had to do that they placed temporary offset markers until they found the actual property corner and then removed the offset markers.

One of my other corners is actually in the middle of the county road on which I live. They drove a pin into the pavement to mark it. But he also set a reference pin along my property line about 20 feet from the corner. He said he did that so it would be easier to find the corner pin in the future, assuming the county ever repaves my road.

I’m not sure any of that applies in your case though.
    If they pave over it the next surveyor to use it is supposed to reset the monument at proper height. (Not that they always do it.) This fact alone can greatly affect the price for a staked survey. If the company has been near recently and knows the monuments are accessible it will cost less. While they use GPS they still must locate the monuments.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If they pave over it the next surveyor to use it is supposed to reset the monument at proper height. (Not that they always do it.) This fact alone can greatly affect the price for a staked survey. If the company has been near recently and knows the monuments are accessible it will cost less. While they use GPS they still must locate the monuments.
    Yes, they found three of them to establish my survey.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yes, they found three of them to establish my survey.
    PK nails, hardened steel nails in road way, iron pipes in Ground. Each Can be located with metal detectors, wood lath with flagging will have location reference numbers and horizontal permanent mark with elevation on it. Depending on the engineering co. doing the work.JMO

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    PK nails, hardened steel nails in road way, iron pipes in Ground. Each Can be located with metal detectors
    1670597720137.jpeg

Here’s one of them that applied to me. The other two I believe are as you describe. On the roads around me, there are several of these monuments the county surveyor (I think) has placed the last few years.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    View attachment 241424

Here’s one of them that applied to me. The other two I believe are as you describe. On the roads around me, there are several of these monuments the county surveyor (I think) has placed the last few years.

That looks like a bench mark used for location and most likely elevation you can see all of the references for ident. on it. Don’t recognize any state ident. Maybe local county or private engineering co.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That looks like a bench mark used for location and most likely elevation you can see all of the references for ident. on it. Don’t recognize any state ident. Maybe local county or private engineering co.
    It’s marking the corner of a quarter section. It’s been awhlie but I believe I see the township number, range, and section IDs. If I gave you the legal description of my property, you’d see those numbers on that monument.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Ya, I can extrapolate sec. S12 n S13 of course the 1/4 the rest is Greek. My work was at the state level with hi-way engineers we always had a state seal ID. I do and have had my own places surveyed it’s always a crap shoot who the county hires. Supposed to be next name on the list, but I think they use their buddies or award the bid on the cheapest bidder. I live on a range line. It’s an argument every time they resurface the road, they want to encroach on tillable ground. They use the old rite of way excuse then it cost me money for a lawyer. Dad gum .gov anyway.

Top Bottom