• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    I’ve loaded for years and I used books for along time, I’m 40 so pre-internet stuff. I had lots of manuals and books but as years have passed gave them away.

I’ve been using the internet and it’s a great source I love the powder company’s sights easy to use and follow. I am thinking I’d like to get a manual though one that covers a large majority of the bullets and powders out there.

This will be mostly for metallic but I should probably get a shotgun one too. What’s the best manual for the price out there?

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Been using Lyman Reloading handbooks for many years.
    Currently on the 51st Edition.
    I sometimes refer to Hodgdon's on-line info.
    Have a couple of old Speer, a Sierra & a Hornady in my "library," but Lyman has always been my go to.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I also started loading pre-internet, back when you had to get some books and, if you were lucky, you knew a couple of old-timers you could ask questions of.

Speer #13, though I've been thinking lately about getting the newest edition. I've lost track of how many times I've read the how-to sections in the beginning of the book, or flipped through and read the short history/facts overview page of different cartridges.

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    I too am a pre-internet reloader. My primary resource is still the manuals. I use the RCBS, Speer and the Lyman mostly. I'll look up a load in each of the manuals and then cross check the data with the internet. If I HAD to use only one manual, it would probably be the Speer.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I learned handgun reloading from a Speer manual 30 years ago. Somewhere along the way, I gave it to a friend and bought an updated one. I went back to it about 5 years ago to learn centerfire rifle. Both times, it served me well. I'm sure the current one is just as relevant today.

For centerfire rifle, I really like the latest Berger manual.

Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    I like the One Book/One Caliber reloading manuals put out by Loadbooks USA, Inc.
    The one I have is for 38 Special and it covers a tremendous amount of bullet and powder combinations that really let you utilize everything the 38 Spwcial can offer.
    I agree great books

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I use the classic Lee manual, Hornady and Speer latest editions and the Hodgdon yearly reloaders manual as well as the Hodgdon website. Gotta keep current and confirming loads for ladders and the like for new calibers I acquire. Safety first! :shoot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Bought this at the gun show today.
    I have never used Vihtavuori powders before but I've always been curious

In the back of this manual is a burn rate chart unlike any other I've seen.
    It shows the burn rates of Vihtavuori powders as compared to other brands.
    Nice juxtaposition. IMG_20230513_190450301.jpg IMG_20230513_190506614.jpg

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I like the One Book/One Caliber reloading manuals put out by Loadbooks USA, Inc.
    The one I have is for 38 Special and it covers a tremendous amount of bullet and powder combinations that really let you utilize everything the 38 Spwcial can offer.
    ++100 on this one.
    The load book brand is closely related to the Projectile Mfg. Brand, and IS a "Ford, Chevy, Dodge Truck" type of discussion.
    Everyone has their favorite brand.
    Find the brand of projectile that you like the MOST, and buy their brand of load manual ALSO...
    Just my 2 cents worth...Bill.

Top Bottom