• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    An anecdote for your amusement and entertainment.

I went to Marion County Fish and Game on Sunday, to test fire a new 9 mm handgun. Brought a Bobcat steel target out for the first time for some fun.

Ran out of 9 mm, but I had a bunch of 45 acp with me and wanted to keep shooting, so I decided to shoot my carry gun, a Springfield MilSpec (about 1,500 rounds old). Cleared the gun of my self defense rounds, and loaded up for some plinking on the steel.

First shot, failure to extract ("FTE"), second shot FTE. Hm, ammo maybe? Magazine? Four FTE's and cold enough outside that I decided to leave and check it out at home. Maybe the extractor got gunked up? Very curious, because I shot it about 2 months ago, cleaned, lubed holstered and carried thereafter.

Nope, the hook at the end of the extractor had broken clean off! Must have happend when I chambered the first practice round (or maybe when ejecting the self defense hollow point).

Got on Brownell's site and ordered an Ed Brown to replace it.

Guns can break any time, any where.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I just had an issue with my carry pistol during some practice at the range that required it to be disassembled to correct. It made me wonder if I should have a backup gun.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Is it time to resurrect the 1911's suck video?....Just kidding. Think the cold played a role in the extractor breaking?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Good to hear you got a little use out of the target!! Sorry to hear about the gun, but it is a good place/time to find the issue.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Bummer on the extractor. Did I mention that I have never experienced a Glock fail?:D Just kidding with you. As mentioned above, at least you found out on the range and not in the fight of your life.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Your gun.... has the traditional internal 1911 extractor, right?

You didn't happen to load your gun by dropping a round in the chamber through the ejection port and then closing the slide, did you?

Just curious!

-J-

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN

You didn't happen to load your gun by dropping a round in the chamber through the ejection port and then closing the slide, did you?

Just curious!

-J-

That's a good question and worth bringing up. However, I always load the chamber by cycling the slide with mag in, then I top off the mag.
    I don't know for sure the cause, but I think it was just a somewhat defective extractor that broke before its time.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy

Just curious!

-J-

Because, when loaded from the mag, (risking bullet setback), the rim of the case slithers up under the extractor, instead of snapping over the rim?

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Because, when loaded from the mag, (risking bullet setback), the rim of the case slithers up under the extractor, instead of snapping over the rim?

That has always been my understanding.
    I'm sure that there is a little setback loading by cycling the slide, but it would be insignifcant, unless the same cartridge is loaded more than once. How many is too many? Another thread, I think. When I get my extractor fixed, maybe I'll be the one who finds out.:):

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The Opinions Expressed Below Are Not Necessarily Those of The Management.

A. Don't shoot your carry gun unless you have a backup. When you shoot to slide-lock, you are now "unarmed".

B. Shoot your carry gun more than every few months!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    A. Don't shoot your carry gun unless you have a backup. When you shoot to slide-lock, you are now "unarmed".

B. Shoot your carry gun more than every few months!

A. This would be why I keep my J-frame in my pocket when I am shooing my EDC, even in my back yard. I may be a little paranoid, but it would seem that a somewhat intelligent criminal intent on robbing me would wait until they hear the shooting stop, and assume I were unarmed.

B. Though they may change from week to week, I shoot the handgun, or guns, that I am carrying usually no less than weekly, sometimes more depending on my schedule that week.

Top Bottom