What AR 15 currently on the market closest to an A2?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ssylvester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    So I've been looking around and to my dismay it seems that the A2 style AR15 is "out of style" so not too many available. I like the Del-ton alpha 220h, it does have a 1:9 twist though, I don't know if that really matters or not, I'm not going to be firing any tracers or bump firing. I would really like the Colt AR15 A2, or at least a lower, but they are few and far between and WAY overpriced from what I've found. So looking for some ingoer opinions, this will be my anniversary present by the way, I don't want any bells and whistles, that is what my WASR10 is for lol. I just want a good standard AR15 in the A2 style ie, fixed stock, hbar 20" barrel.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    So I've been looking around and to my dismay it seems that the A2 style AR15 is "out of style" so not too many available. I like the Del-ton alpha 220h, it does have a 1:9 twist though, I don't know if that really matters or not, I'm not going to be firing any tracers or bump firing. I would really like the Colt AR15 A2, or at least a lower, but they are few and far between and WAY overpriced from what I've found. So looking for some ingoer opinions, this will be my anniversary present by the way, I don't want any bells and whistles, that is what my WASR10 is for lol. I just want a good standard AR15 in the A2 style ie, fixed stock, hbar 20" barrel.

Rock River Arms, Stag, DPMS, Colt, BCM, all make an A2 rifle. I build one from PSA and Del ton, shoots like a dream. Mine has the 1x7 twist, so does Colt and BCM anyways, most of the other companies offer a 1x8 stainless option but they are usually 1x9 twist.

ssylvester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Rock River Arms, Stag, DPMS, Colt, BCM, all make an A2 rifle. I build one from PSA and Del ton, shoots like a dream. Mine has the 1x7 twist, so does Colt and BCM anyways, most of the other companies offer a 1x8 stainless option but they are usually 1x9 twist.
    Who makes your barrel? I didn't see any 1x7's on Del-tons website. I wouldn't mind building one either would you say you saved money that way?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    PSA makes AR's and they reportedly import 20" 1/7 m16 barrels from FN (FN makes US ml16's, Colt makes the m4's). They also use m16 BCG's, so they would be my first choice.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My A-2 styles have been Colt HBar, Bushmaster, and Stag. They all Functioned flawlessly. The Colt had the non standard sized trigger pins and a block to keep from installing other triggers. That was enough of a down side that I would not buy another Colt.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    My A-2 styles have been Colt HBar, Bushmaster, and Stag. They all Functioned flawlessly. The Colt had the non standard sized trigger pins and a block to keep from installing other triggers. That was enough of a down side that I would not buy another Colt.

Colt went to standard pins several years ago, so any recent model is fully compatible. They also use the same full auto BCG as m16/m4 now. No reason not to buy a Colt, but do be aware that the older ones have some proprietary trigger pins.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Rock river, Bushmaster, PSA, Stag, Colt, and many others offer a traditional A2. However White Oak armament makes a fine shooting one the upper runs about $700, a stripped lower will get you for $100, a Stock kit is another $70, and a lower parts kit about $85. so for $955 you can toss together a fine one.

ssylvester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    I've been looking into the kits, looks like that is a money saver but the manufacturer builds offer lifetime warranties, that is nice too. BCM looks the best for mil spec but they only offer an a4. Why are all the 1x7 barrels stainless? That looks nasty. Anyway I think if I'm going to settle for a 1x9 the del-ton AKA DTI A2 looks the best at 750 msrp, anyone have experience with them. As far as specs looks comparable to rock river, just less cashola.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I saw an A2 Bushmaster complete lower on armslist yesterday for 275, it's most likely still there. I will also give a plug for the Armalite I have running here in the classifieds, it has a 24in barrel, A3 flat-top.

Top Bottom