What do I need to know about the PTR-91?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beachhead40

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    North Of Indy
    H&K sold the tooling to ptr 91 so in a fact yes they are the one and the same. You will get the same quality in my opinion... a buddy of mine has one and its nice. If you pass this deal up , i got 2nds :)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Its a fun gun my brother had one a few years back before he got his AR10. It shot very well, we shoot mostly steel case Wolf out of it and it ran like a top.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    The one thing I hear over and over is that the fluted chamber of the HK91 / PTR91 is hard on the spent brass. Not a issue if you aren't planning to reload, but something to consider if you are.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Tell me everything I need to know about the PTR-91. I might able to purchase one for an insane deal soon. These are "technically" a G3 correct?

Technically NO, but very close. They have different barrels. PTRs have a heavier "target" grade barrel. The advantages to this is better accuracy obviously. The downside is that is doesn't shoot 7.62 NATO reliable because the chamber flutes aren't cut deep enough. PTR specifically states in the owner manual to only shoot 308 commercial to cover their hind ends. The tar in the NATO surplus will gum up the flutes in less then 20rds. I can attest to this since I owned 2 and had this happen frequently. The older ones with JLD Ent. stamped on the side with an "A" serial number is more desirable then the newer ones with "AW" stamped on them. Anything with a "B" starting in the serial number denotes it is kit build so be wary. Now I do know PTR released some models called the "GI" model with the current flutes and lighter barrel but with lesser accuracy. Overall, a good rifle but save some money for a Springfield SAR3/8, HK91, or FMP G3 if you are looking for a 100% G3. If you a just looking for a target rifle/plinker then this should just fine.

BTW this has been a highly heated topic over on HKPro for around 4 years.:ingo:

Top Bottom