• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd give him my wallet. If he's able to get that close, and put a pistol in my face, I'm not on my game. Give him the wallet.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree that if you are "behind the curve" of a holdup, better give them the goods. Dropping a wallet may change their attention, a loud "girly scream" and beat feet to safety.

Since retiring from LEO, no longer do I carry a Badge/Wallet, no credit cards, one family pic in a cheapie WallyMart wallet. (DL, and LTCH are also there, and 5-10$ in singles.) That's it.

I do CCW, so if a pat down happens, a tactical knife, or a G19 will be found. Keep your hands to yourself, we both leave.

Search me or make me lie down ... It's On BRO.
    Won't die on my knees. I do practice at the range bi monthly, so will take my past and current training chance ASAP.

Getting older now, patience for stupid is waning. The old people don't care, they will shoot. Fact.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't usually carry cash. Credit cards can easily be switched off. I can do it right from my phone or computer.

I'd most likely give up the wallet. But as others have said, if he wants to escalate beyond that I'm probably going to give him a fight. I'm not going for a ride to hit up the ATM.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If there was ever such a place to feel comfortable buying alcohol after dark, this would be the place. It's one full block from campus bars and surrounded by student housing. These kids should be able to feel safe around here.
    That's hilarious.

Surrounded by campus bars and off-campus student housing. Your and my definition of "safe" must be different. Sounds like a target so soft it make squishy sounds when squeezed.

Oh, and not "kids". Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Sign up for the next class that BBI and Coach puts together and you will be surprised at how many options you have besides giving him your wallet.

Tell me more please? I want to get up to Indy for one CavMedics med classes too. I need to spend some time this next year educating myself, especially in areas it has been a long time since practicing.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Not to derail from the OP, but this seems relevant..
    Has anyone else ever thought about carrying a dummy wallet? Put some $1s in it, a couple expired gift cards, etc?

Thoughts?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Has anyone else ever thought about carrying a dummy wallet? Put some $1s in it, a couple expired gift cards, etc?

Thoughts?

My ex-wife was from the projects of Jersey City. She introduced me to the concept, as it was apparently common practice to have a purse to give up and have your real money in your bra, sock, etc. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a wallet, too, if you chose to go that route. That said, we have seen some urban youts who take offense to having only small amounts of cash or no cash and shoot the victim in the leg as a punishment for not having enough to be worth robbing. That's rare, but more than zero. I've yet to see an older robber do it, usually the youts with something to prove.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My ex-wife was from the projects of Jersey City. She introduced me to the concept, as it was apparently common practice to have a purse to give up and have your real money in your bra, sock, etc. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a wallet, too, if you chose to go that route. That said, we have seen some urban youts who take offense to having only small amounts of cash or no cash and shoot the victim in the leg as a punishment for not having enough to be worth robbing. That's rare, but more than zero. I've yet to see an older robber do it, usually the youts with something to prove.

Yeah, I can see them getting pissy with a small payout, but it also might give you time to get to your weapon. Hmm

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    As much as I'd like to play Billy Bad A$$ I know how horrible it is to go through a long, drawn out court case and dollars to donuts the robber was "just a goot boy" whose family would no doubt press civil charges after whatever legal charges were cleared. I rarely carry enough in my pocket (don't even carry a wallet) to worry about being relieved. Cell phone is worth a few bucks but even that is peanuts compared to legal fees, time lost, etc.

That said, I've seen some pretty decent videos of people calmly talking to the robber, "OK. I'll get my wallet out of my pocket" as they draw their gun and shoot. If your voice and tone is calm enough to feign compliance, it's possible you're not setting off their spidey senses and they'll hold just long enough to get shot. But, you know what they say about gun fights...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Thoughts?

I knew a flea market type merchant that always kept a wad of ones handy and even lightly hidden in his vehicle. 50 or 60 singles looks like a lot of dough. Then he kept his real money hidden different ways.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Thoughts?

Yes. Mine has some cash in it (all 1s and a few 5s) and I've saved a bunch of dummy "credit cards" over the years that I've gotten in the mail as promos. "Should" stand up to a quick glance. Not sure how much effort a perp might put into going through it on the spot.

BehindblueI's - how much time do some of the yutes spend scrutinizing their haul?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BehindblueI's - how much time do some of the yutes spend scrutinizing their haul?

A "disguised" haul? I really can't say, I can only think of two times someone has reported they used that tactic to me and I never asked if the person looked at it or not. Both were females, neither was injured, but I don't know if they would have been injured either way so that doesn't really tell us anything. I *think* I had a taxi driver do the same thing, but am not sure. After so many hundreds of cases they tend to get fuzzy if they aren't a real standout for some reason.

I was referring more to the people who say (truthfully or not) that they don't have anything, only have $5, whatever. In the second case, long enough to threaten and cajole to come off the "rest of it". They are more agitated at that point, may close the distance to be more intimidating, posture, etc. That presents it's own opportunities and it's own new threats. As trigger finger discipline and muzzle discipline is often quite lacking in the criminal community, the chances of being shot due to posturing gone wrong would seem to be higher as well.

Top Bottom