• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Well, I opened up a can of worms when I dusted off an old Charter Arms .38 Snubbie that I haven't fired in 20 years or more. The wife saw it and asked if she could shoot it. (Yes, this is the same wife....MY wife, who has fired maybe a total of 6 rounds in all the years we've been married)

Long story short....this gal....takes this 2" snubbie... and proceeds to put all 5 shots into a group a size of my hand....at 30 FEET. Who was this woman? I felt like asking to see her driver's license.

Oh yeah...about the finish... :) the steel on the revolver is excellent, The wood grips are shoddy. I want to refinish the cylinder in hot pink...Maybe paint the grips too, or just upgrade them.

What's everybody's opinion: Cerakote,Gunkote, or Duracoate? Have it done professionally, or do it myself? Or just buy a can of Rustoleum Ultra-Coat?

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Depends on what you want to spent and what equipment you have. I am a HUGE fan and user of Duracoat. I have heard good things about Cerakote too. I would avoid any type of regular paint unless you like the worn look as it will wear a little to alot worse then a weapon specific finish.

There are some cheap solutions for airbrushes if you don't already own one. Some people get decent results with the prevail type sprayers, but it isn't nearly as consistent as an airbrush. Shipping one off can cost a penny, I've seen handgun costs between $50 and $150 to get coated.

I'd be happy to help if I can. Let me know if you decide to do it yourself, I can give pointers.

cfa52947.jpg

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Well, that's the problem...I don't have a sprayer. I do have a large compressor, though.Really not interested in spending $100-$150 either.
    Any suggestions?
    PS Thanks for the response!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Well, that's the problem...I don't have a sprayer. I do have a large compressor, though.Really not interested in spending $100-$150 either.
    Any suggestions?
    PS Thanks for the response!

Hoosier gun coat in Bloomington, $140-$160 for pistol finishing iirc

Top Bottom