What guns to get started? ... My journey with new gun owners.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It often comes up here on INGO. The questions: What 3, 5, 10 guns should any gun owner have in their home? What guns does a person need to get them started. Of course this all depends on the intended use of the gun. But basically it breaks down into hunting, sport/recreational shooting, or Personal Protection.

Well I was able to be involved with a real life case study last week. A little background is in order. My sister is getting married this winter. It is safe to assume that I grew up in a firearm friendly family. My sister having access to firearms has never purchased her own. My Brother In Law has developed a recent interest in gun ownership. He also grew up in a gun friendly household. Marriage, talk of kids, current economy, opportunity to shoot with the new family plays into the decision. Being a responsible man my BIL saved his money to make the purchases, did his research and attended an NRA Basic Pistol course.

Question: With a $2500 budget what guns should a person buy to get Started?

Uses:
    1) Recreational shooting. plinking, clay pigeons/shotgunning, maybe even USPSA.
    2) Personal Protection of a new home and wife/family
    3) Possible small game hunting with Father and Brother.

My Suggestions (he did receive others as well):
    1) A good pump shotgun with a field and defense barrel
    2) A good .22 rimfire rifle
    3) A good handgun
    4) A .22 pistol (if funds allow)
    5) A gun for my sister

Last Sunday he invited me down to make the final selections. Both he and my sister had been to several shops and looked at a lot of guns. They had narrowed their selections. The final step was one last look and to get my opinion on pros/cons/features. Also to help them pick out some cleaning supplies and accessories. I thought I would share what they ended up with.

1) Mossberg 500 - It was decided to go traditional, reliable & affordable. BIL opted for the security/field model. Wood stock, 26" barrel with chokes, 18.5" defense barrel.
    2) Ruger 10/22 - but not just any 10/22. BIL/sister fell in love with a Tactical Solutions X-Ring. What a beautiful rifle! Hey he had the cash. UK blue and white stock, leupold mount, Weaver 2x7 rimfire scope. It will be a nice plinker. Next stop is an Appleseed.
    3) Smith & Wesson M&P Pro Series - 9mm, 4.25" barrel, night sights. Only slightly larger then my Glock 23. Small enough to carry, big enough for the range, lots of capacity for home defense. Good solid choice.
    4) Smith & Wesson M&P 22 - BIL figured with the price of ammunition the .22 will be cheaper to practice with. So now he has the same size/shape gun in 22 and 9mm. Smart choice.
    5) Smith & Wesson 642 - My sister grew up shooting snubby revolvers. Ultimately that is what she was comfortable with. Plus they wanted something small that they can carry with them either in a purse, pocket or glove box.

I think the new couple did quite well. Just thought I would share a real life example of people starting their gun collection.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    My brother got married last weekend, he always seemed interested so i bought him (gave him money and went to the store with as to not constitute a straw purchase) a 10/22.

So i say 10/22, remington 870, and whatever pistol fits your hand 9 mm and below.

For starters of course...

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    My brother got married last weekend, he always seemed interested so i bought him (gave him money and went to the store with as to not constitute a straw purchase) a 10/22.

So i say 10/22, remington 870, and whatever pistol fits your hand 9 mm and below.

FYI its totally legal to buy a gun as gift for someone. Your are the actual purcheser of the gun and you are buying it as a gift. As long as the person you are buying the gift for is legal to have it your fine. Its weird and confusing but most gun laws are. Most likely on purpose.:welcome:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

I would agree with that 100%. And rep coming your way for buying your brother a gun.

For starting out it is hard to beat:

.22 rifle - Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60/795
    Shotgun - Mossberg 500 or Remington 870
    9mm handgun - Glock, M&P, XD

Lots of other choices out there but these are good to start with.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    GREAT Choices...

1. Mossberg 500/Rem. 870.
    2. Ruger 10-22/Marlin 60.
    3. For me--4" Med. frame .357 revolver.
    4. Med. frame 9MM.

The only thing that I would change, would be a good .357Mag. revolver before the 9MM..Bill.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    FYI its totally legal to buy a gun as gift for someone.

Not to change the topic as discussion on how to best introduce new people to gun ownership is amazing, but what I neglected to mention is that he lives in a different state.

Which is why I just handed him an envelope full of $20's in the Cabelas parking lot :D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I always use the analogy that guns are like hand tools.

"What's the best gun"? is akin to asking "what's the best hand tool"?

Do you want to cut a board or drive a nail?

Or, use the analogy that guns are like golf clubs, different clubs for different shots.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Update! My BIL and sister went to the range yesterday. They shot 1000 rounds of .22 and 150 rounds of 9mm. Sounds like a good time.

Oh their wedding shower was today. I got her a holster for the J frame and got him some cleaning supplies and a sling.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'd say that's a pretty decent start...especially with the 10/22! I'd suggest a nice .357 Mag revolver, such as a 4" Ruger GP100...as an overall general purpose gun, otherwise I'd say they have a great start to their collection!

Excellent choices...and congrats!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I see so many people at the range with high powered rifles that can't hit a barn with a shot gun,that my one and only reccomendation to a noob is this.
    Buy a quality 22 rifle and a quality 22 pistol and some quality amunition and learn to shoot proficiently.
    once the have done this it is time to think about what kind of guns they might want for specific purposes.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Keep it simple. A .22 Rifle is a must, lots of ammo and cheap too practice with. A 12 gauge shotgun is another. Plentiful, powerful, serves many purposes. Then after that its up to the shooters preference. Thats how I decided so it must be correct :cool:

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Nice, my next purchases will be a rifle, shotgun, and a revolver. Thanks for the advice! Now just to get to my 50th post so I can sell a pistol that didn't work out for me.

Hopefully, they will work out as Christmas presents and we'll see what shooting in the cold feels like ;) Thinking about Appleseed soon, maybe for my birthday? Of course, as a woman it's kind of a no-brainer!

It took me forever to decide on cleaning products, silly I know, but I'm still not sure I picked the right ones. I was trying to think ahead for a growing collection. And I'm not very confident taking apart and cleaning the handguns yet. Do you just read the manual and keep practicing, or watching YouTube videos?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Nice, my next purchases will be a rifle, shotgun, and a revolver. Thanks for the advice! Now just to get to my 50th post so I can sell a pistol that didn't work out for me.

Hopefully, they will work out as Christmas presents and we'll see what shooting in the cold feels like ;) Thinking about Appleseed soon, maybe for my birthday? Of course, as a woman it's kind of a no-brainer!

It took me forever to decide on cleaning products, silly I know, but I'm still not sure I picked the right ones. I was trying to think ahead for a growing collection. And I'm not very confident taking apart and cleaning the handguns yet. Do you just read the manual and keep practicing, or watching YouTube videos?

Being a guy, I'm not sure what a manual is. Every time I've gotten a new firearm and I'm having trouble breaking it down, I either grab a bigger hammer or go to Youtube (usually the latter). As far as becoming more comfortable with cleaning a specific firearm, there are plenty of Youtube videos and many people on here would be willing to help if you had questions.

Oh yeah, OP, I'd say they did a good job picking out a start to a collection. My first gun was a Mossberg 500 12g (at 14 or 15) with a 8mm Mauser following that up not long after I turned 18. Some might not think that they were the wisest choices but I've still got both of them and still enjoy shooting them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Interesting that you should say this. We teach NRA Basic Pistol a couple of times a year and one of the hardest sections to present is cleaning. Why? Because there are so many different cleaning products, and every gun is different to take apart and clean. There is just not enough time to go through it all. My advice: 1) The manual is a great place to start. Even as experienced as I am with handguns I still always have to refer to the manual. 2) You basically need two cleaning products, a cleaner and a lubricant. Check your local gun store or WalMart and see what they stock. There are a lot of good products on the market.

My choices for cleaning products based on availability:
    Cleaners - Hoppes #9, Hoppes Elite Cleaner, Breakfree CLP
    Lubricants - Hoppes Elite Oil or Tetra Lubricant

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    I like the choice of the 642, but I really just love wheel guns!!!

I do not like the 10/22 but that is because I do not find it comfortable. It truly is just me.

Mossberg is good, hard to go wrong.

Hmmm, the M&P combo. Good choices, train with one and be ready with both. But hope he remembers to also shoot the 9mm. No need to add a fear factor into the mix.

SIL is just starting out to add onto her collection. Went out and found a Browning Buckmark really cheap. We were proud of her and her hubby!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom