• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    What do you suppose is the issue here? I am not 100% positive on brand but I believe it is some very old winchester white box .223. Definitely not reloads. I had it stored in an ammo can - probably 20 years old. On several occasions, I took a shot and got a FTF. Ejected the round and this is how it looked. Neck was either split and/or wadded up and the bullet fell back in the case.

1696536974801.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Improper neck sizing and /or crimp. Not enough neck tension to hold the bullet on chambering. It can also crush or split the neck on hitting the feed ramp. This is a BIG problem. Do not shoot that ammo.
    If he's a reloader couldn't he check oal, neck dimensions, use a neck sizing die, and crimp the neck with a Lee Factory crimp die?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    If he's a reloader couldn't he check oal, neck dimensions, use a neck sizing die, and crimp the neck with a Lee Factory crimp die?
    Yes, absolutely. He could pull the bullets, resize the neck, reseat then crimp. That’s assuming there aren’t split necks already.

I’ve had this happen with an out-of-spec FL sizer before. You could tap the tip of the bullet on a table and it would set back. Figured it out after a AR lower blew out.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yes, absolutely. He could pull the bullets, resize the neck, reseat then crimp. That’s assuming there aren’t split necks already.
    Yep, I loaded a few hundred LC Match 7.62 once fired cases 20-25 years ago and they sat in a can long forgotten. A few years ago they were found and we decided to shoot them and recycle the brass.
    At least 80% had split necks. I just assumed it was from loading hard brass. I knew there history, I picked them up at a high power match at Meade.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg

I don't think its a crimp issue. I think they were pre-split before I attempted to feed. I think I need to go through the rest of these rounds and look at the necks under a magnifier. I only have a couple hundred left from this batch so i may just toss them.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Seeing you asked, here is my hypothesis.

First- 20 years old is not an issue for properly stored ammunition, which if as stated, you did.

Second- For one reason or another the neck tension was not sufficient too secure the bullet in place during chambering. This allowed the bullet to move backwards into the case rather than guide the cartridge into the chamber.

Third- Since the bullet is no longer in place to guide, the end of the case is now exposed to the feed ramp. Once the case and feed ramp collide, the weaker piece will give way, in this instance the softer brass case gave way. (This is more common in semi-auto firearms, but it can also happen in a bolt action.)

It can not be determined why the bullet was loose from a photo, but there is normally one of two reasons.
    First- Brass being brittle
    A- Improper heat treat
    B- Over working the material
    Second- Improper neck tension

If I had to guess, I would say improper neck tension. You might try tapping on the bullets of some of the remaining pieces to see if they move with moderate pressure. Also, if you were to able to chamber and fire them they will oftentimes run at a lower velocity.

Top Bottom